Eastern vs Western land ownership?

204guy

WKR
In 5 years I plan to have that kind of assets in my retirement. And I've often dreamed of owning a lot of land and am envious of those that do. However, I could do A LOT of hunting, and buy a lot of toys with 2 million. Plus, I think it would be an iffy investment. Hell, I just want to buy a big truck and get a trailer and just wander around like.
Sorry Bill that quote is obsolete. 2 million gets you what 1 did 6 month ago.

bozeman

WKR
Not to derail, but this has been a personal delimma.......I can go on ALOT of hunts for $$ or buy your own place and be limited to that area only. While key areas can hold numerous species of game, that $$ can go a LONG ways in hunting around the globe.........the land ownership is more of an investment and $$ value appreciation in addition to the hunting and memories.......what to do?

Last edited:
bozeman - what a timely post. Just this morning I received trail camera pictures of trespassers on my hunting property. So far they have stolen 6 of my trail cameras. I am afraid to see what they did to my hunting cabin and blinds. It sure makes you wonder if the expense of having hunting property is worth the cost and hassle especially when it is several hours way from home. I can go on a lot of hunts all over the world for a fraction of the cost of land, taxes, up keep, etc of having hunting land.

Diesel

WKR
Owning a large tract of land is becoming harder for the average guy. Urban and suburban residents have realized that cities are restrictive and have been buying land in areas of less population This competition has driven land prices upward.

In our area, folks have bought everything available. Realtors say people are buying old cabins and land sight unseen. China virus and urban unrest is opening eyes. The idea of hunting as a support in troubled times is absurd as game would be shot out in no time. Just too many people. But the myth survives.

If you do not live on the land it will be trespassed. Even then you can still have issues as respect is becoming a past attribute.

I believe that owning the right land is smart in many ways as long as property rights are still upheld by the government. As a hedge against printed money, ability to sustain by growing and raising food if necessary, peace and quiet, increasing value, possible timber and mineral value, home business opportunity and just plain old pride in your creation. It is not easily acquired by the working guy, but well worth the effort.

This morning my wife and I watched three gobblers and one hen going about their mating ritual. Sitting there drinking coffee and watching from the comfort of the cabin is a daily routine. Deer, bear and all the other creatures doing their thing beats the hell out of listening to sirens blasting and traffic noise. So yeah, we are blessed. But we made it happen through hard work and perseverance and so can you.

Like the old saying " owning land is smart, they aren't making it anymore".

Big Bend of Florida 12 miles to the Boat Ramp
I ended up buying 10 acres High Ground surrounded by a swamp.
Put a house on it and a couple grand into the flooding road. No neighbors and deer / Turkeys all over the place.
Snakes are plentiful as well but they don't bother me much.
Best thing is my back gate starts 93 Thousand acres of Pine timberland and I'm a member of the Hunting Lease. No houses for almost 20 miles behind me and the Saltwater Flats are 10 miles away.
Big Bend of Florida
DSC00184.JPGDSC00387.JPG

Great question. I’ve always thought of 40ish acres to be good enough to establish habitat in the Midwest. I’d imagine needing 150+ out west.