Eastern Washington Elk - Near WW

jakeaba

FNG
Hey all,

I’m going home for a couple weeks of leave and was curious if anyone could tell me if it’s worthwhile to try and hunt elk anywhere near walla walla. Found some trails in the blues that look rugged and miserable and from what I hear that’s what they like….not looking for handouts just a general idea if it’s worth the time or focus on deer, bear or cougar.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krisn416

WKR
I haven’t hunted out there, but recall getting an email recently from WDFW about cougar overpopulation and high death rates of young bulls. Pretty sure it was about that area. That may be good or bad depending on what you’re hunting, but worth thinking about.

Bachto

WKR
Its all spike only, very rugged country. But go hunt it! Personally I gave up on hunting spikes in the blues awhile ago but it will be a fun experience. The elk tend to be in the very bottoms and north facing slopes where it’s cool. Focus on those.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted it last year. Saw a 2-pointer, so we just had a staring contest for a few before we both decided to move on. Tough with spike only.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Thanks all! Not seeing much out here, think it’ll be mostly deer to focus on this trip. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk