Eastern Washington Transplant

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
Transplant from NE Ohio, via NE Nevada. Trying to figure out the right hunting style for Eastern Washington. Grew up in tree stands in Ohio and cut my teeth on western hunting doing Spot and stalk in NE Nevada. More than happy to help with predator management. Looking forward to all the input and insight from this site. Good luck to everyone out hunting or getting ready to head out.

Power

FNG
Transplant from NE Ohio, via NE Nevada. Trying to figure out the right hunting style for Eastern Washington. Grew up in tree stands in Ohio and cut my teeth on western hunting doing Spot and stalk in NE Nevada. More than happy to help with predator management. Looking forward to all the input and insight from this site. Good luck to everyone out hunting or getting ready to head out.
What are you trying to hunt and with what weapon? Anything specific?

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
What are you trying to hunt and with what weapon? Anything specific?

I hunt modern. I had/have tags for bear, dear, elk, and turkey. Spent most of my time in 117 and 124; just trying to get familiar with NE Washington. I had to a hunt in Canada scheduled for 2020, so I didn’t scout as much as I should have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Power

FNG
117 and 124 are decent units depending on what your hunting. As with most places, if you can get access to some private it will be beneficial. Both units have issues currently with wolves. Deer and turkey are on farms, most people will give access for turkeys. The best days for deer season are truly the last 3 days of rifle, they will be chasing....make sure to put in for the special draw for deer, for the week of thanksgiving. Run cameras if you have a spot you like, most of the intel will not come from boots on the ground, walking around. Take local hunting info with a grain of salt, the areas get pounded with out of towners, some locals may not like to give out info. If you want more specific info on a specific area maybe you can message me directly, not sure how it works on here but I have 30 years of hard core hunting in the area and have been pretty successful. Good luck

mstahlz

FNG
Turkey is a great way to get in on bigger game property. People seem to be more willing to let you hunt with a shotgun if they don't know you, especially on ranches where cattle damage is a concern. Once in, you can often develop a relationship and expand permission!

Welcome to the forum (I am new also). I have now lived on the Wet side of WA for 26 years, having moved here from the MidWest. Since you are in E. WA you have advantages for hunting.

Here is one suggestion for you - the Pasayten Wilderness is a less known and less used area in WA. If you like wilderness areas, go explore the Pasayten this summer. Good fishing.

I haven't been impressed with the deer populations in the Pasayten (or most anywhere in WA). Bear are common.

This is a very high snowpack year, so trails won't be snow free until after July 4th, but if you are adventurous and know how to navigate snow covered passes (they aren't like Rocky Mtn. Passes - so not as bad) then you MIGHT be able to get back in during late June. Maybe.

fyi, my hunting buddy grew up in Mentor, OH.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum (I am new also). I have now lived on the Wet side of WA for 26 years, having moved here from the MidWest. Since you are in E. WA you have advantages for hunting.

Here is one suggestion for you - the Pasayten Wilderness is a less known and less used area in WA. If you like wilderness areas, go explore the Pasayten this summer. Good fishing.

I haven't been impressed with the deer populations in the Pasayten (or most anywhere in WA). Bear are common.

This is a very high snowpack year, so trails won't be snow free until after July 4th, but if you are adventurous and know how to navigate snow covered passes (they aren't like Rocky Mtn. Passes - so not as bad) then you MIGHT be able to get back in during late June. Maybe.

fyi, my hunting buddy grew up in Mentor, OH.

Thanks for the welcome and input. Wilderness is what we mostly hunted in Nevada; I’ll need to look into the Pasayten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the welcome and input. Wilderness is what we mostly hunted in Nevada; I’ll need to look into the Pasayten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pasayten is one of the wildest places in America in my opinion. I very, very rarely see anyone more than a mile or two deep up there