Eastern wisconsin back pack classes

Hey just looking if any of you guys out there in wisconsin have any recomendations for navigation/back packing class recomendations. Im just looking to learn a few things, ive camped out in the mountains before but you can only learn so much doing it a week or two a year. I see REI has some but have also jeard there not the most fond of hunters. I also have access (10 miles away) to the Ice age trail System which goes 1,000 miles i believe. Would i be better off doing little weekend hiking trips there to learn on my own you guys think?

I think you’re on the right track with weekend hikes. You’re close to home if things don’t go well and you can figure out pretty quick what works and what don’t as well as what gear you’re missing and what you dont use.

*zap*

WKR
Anything you want to know about Land Navigation explained in clear, concise and e-z to understand format is on this playlist:

Overnight hike in/camp outs are very good to figure out your needs.

OP
WI in the west
Ill check those out! And yeah maybe it is better to just use trial and error to figure stuff out a little better. Cause all im looking for is to be more efficient and comfortable really, i got an alright base knowledge just wanna be proficiant and excel at it

*zap*

WKR
Pick a day of the week to overnight walk in camp out and then do it every week on that day regardless of what the weather is.

OP
WI in the west
Thats probably a good idea cause its not that complicated when its broght and sunny but you through wind and rain in then youll learn some stuff

*zap*

WKR
Exactly. Walk away from the vehicle a few hrs before dark, get set up, eat and sleep....get up, coffee, eat and pack out. Then do a few going in/out in the dark. Locally here there are a few areas I can camp anywhere I want in that area. Try all your shelters, bags and sleeping pads.....different ways to cook and make water safe. E-Z for me but I am single.... :D Sucks a bit if it is raining good but you get some good experience...

OP
WI in the west
Yeah that sounds like its time efficient to, you get a workout in, sleep then get a morning workout and head home, shouldnt be to hard to make time for that

*zap*

WKR
You can pack further or close.....load real heavy and just go a mile or so. Load lighter and go 4. Good way to line out your packs and all camping gear.