Eastern Wyoming, things to do.

bdg848

WKR
My dad and I have our applications in for some eastern Wyoming antelope units that we expect to draw. We are not after trophy bucks and my dad says he will literally shoot any buck because they are all trophies to him because he has never hunted out of state let alone out west. With that in mind I dont really expect the hunt to take too long, maybe plan for 3 days of hunting? We are thinking maybe taking a whole week and adding a few other things to the trip.I'm looking for suggestions. Are prairie dogs still out and about in October? Maybe we should bring the varmint rifles too. Fishing? Any particular waterways that would be worth swinging by? Sightseeing? Devil's tower would be about a 2.5 hour drive north, is it worth it? Open to any suggestions at all either in Eastern Wyoming or on the way. Coming from Iowa. Thanks.

hobbes

WKR
Black Hills are nice. Probably more things to see on the SD side, but Devil's Tower would be nice too. I've yet to see it. Can you get some tags also?

mlgc20

WKR
I love Devils Tower. I think it would be worth the drive. I first saw a Devils Tower the day after I first saw Mount Rushmore. While I liked Rushmore, Devils Tower is next level IMO.

Rich M

WKR
Forget the fishing - no trout around there.

Devil's Tower - yes. Impressive. Mt.Rushmore is not far away either and even more impressive.

You will see prairie dogs - shoot em with your antelope gun if you want to shoot some.

Wellsdw

WKR
Just drive around, that’s how you find great places. Don’t over plan, or set a time limit or radius. 2.5 hours in Eastern Wyoming is “just down the road”. Big horns, Medicine now ranges, Laramie, snowys’, Little big horn. We generally pick a direction and drive until dark and then find a air bnb. Great way to network also. 2.5 miles I. Eastern Wyoming is damn near 200 miles!

Schism

WKR
Lots to see in eastern Wyoming but not a lot of tourist type attractions. If you enjoy the beauty of wide open spaces you will enjoy eastern Wyoming. As others have said, leave a couple of days to drive around and see the sites.

If you are looking for tourist "must see" destinations I would add the Crazy Horse Monument in SD to your list. I've seen it a few times, each ten years apart, and have enjoyed seeing the progress and following the story.

wytx

WKR
Fishing ,and for more than just trout. Prairie dogs will be out. Coyotes would be great to hunt, shoot a ton and you may find some worth skinning, early furred up yotes are worth good money up here.
Maybe some bird hunting.
Devils' Tower is worth the visit, make the walk around the base and don't take the native offerings left around the area.
Great beer to enjoy in Laramie, come on over and then drive up into the Snowies too.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Fishing ,and for more than just trout.
What other fish are present? I can look it up, or course. (I was surprised to learn that walleye are prevalent and popular in SD - at least southeastern SD)
Coyotes would be great to hunt, shoot a ton and you may find some worth skinning, early furred up yotes are worth good money up here.
I can also look this up, but can you use electronic calls there? On public land? I've never tried mouth calls before.

bline

FNG
I think Devils Tower is definitely worth the drive. I'd also recommend checking out Custer State Park on the SD side, Spearfish Canyon is also a beautiful area. Deadwood has some cool historical stuff to see if you're into that. I'm not sure if Jewel Cave and Wind Cave will still be open then, but if they are, they are worth checking out. Mount Rushmore, the Needles, and Crazy Horse are all pretty cool to. Most of this stuff is just across the SD state line but very close to Wyoming.

grfox92

WKR
PM me what units you are expecting to draw. If you are basing your plan for success of of what people say about those units from the last few years you may be in for a rude awakening. 3 years of drought and EHD have decimated certain units eastern WY. I hunted a unit this year that we should have been able to tag out in the first day.

56 miles of walking in 5 days and glassing miles of open desert and we had 1 opportunity at a buck which my uncle blew. We both shot does on the 6th day. Everyone we ran into was in the same boat and we ran into alot of guys.

All of the antelope were on private on water tanks with the cattle. Trespass fees were $1500 for a buck. Not trying to be a downer but the landscape has changed drastically.

In in terms of things to do, the bighorns Are beautiful. The Black hills of South Dakota are great too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
This thread was started in May of 2020, so unless I misread something, he hunted two seasons ago.