Easton Arrow Setup

I have a Hoyt Nitrux 30 inch draw maxes at 70 lbs. Help me get a good Easton Carbon Arrow setup. Name and spine size. I’m not interested in the FMJ’s.

TBarron

WKR
I’ve got the same draw length and I’m shooting 29” Axis match 260 spine with 75g brass inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends what you are wanting:
Speed
- Easton Hexx 330, Microlite h insert (or Brass H inserts if want more FOC), 100 grain broadhead
Heavy (my setup)
- Easton Axis 5mm Match 300, Brass H-hit insert 50 grains, 100 grain broadhead (could spine down but think 300 would be plenty, especially if running wraps and lighted nock)

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
With your draw length and poundage you need some weight. I would keep it simple and shoot 300 spine Easton 5mm FMJ

OP
B
With your draw length and poundage you need some weight. I would keep it simple and shoot 300 spine Easton 5mm FMJ
I’m not sure that I wanna go the FMJ route. I’ve heard a lot of bad things about them.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure that I wanna go the FMJ route. I’ve heard a lot of bad things about them.
Don’t believe everything you hear on these forums. FMJ is a phenomenal hunting arrow. I’ve been using them for the last 5-6 years. Never broke or bent one. Had more issues with the axis I shot before. You will also always hear more bad about a best selling arrow than one that doesn’t sell as well.

Hoot

WKR
I haven’t seen the issues with FMJ that others have either, but my same arrow set up in an axis will be 45 grains lighter (495 vs 540).

I’m sticking with fmj this year but next year I am going to switch to axis to get a little more speed and still be heavy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it were me I would stay away from the FMJ's, and try the Axis Match Grade. Either the 300's or the 260's should work just fine for you. I'm pretty OCD about my arrows and it doesn't take much to put even the slightest wobble into an FMJ. And hitting a rebar stake inside of a 3D target will put more than a wobble into them, whereas with the carbons you'll just mushroom the field tip.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me I would stay away from the FMJ's, and try the Axis Match Grade. Either the 300's or the 260's should work just fine for you. I'm pretty OCD about my arrows and it doesn't take much to put even the slightest wobble into an FMJ. And hitting a rebar stake inside of a 3D target will put more than a wobble into them, whereas with the carbons you'll just mushroom the field tip.
I beg to differ. I see posts like this and it drives me crazy. Ive hit arrows, rebar in targets and killed multiple animals and have yet to bend one.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I beg to differ. I see posts like this and it drives me crazy. Ive hit arrows, rebar in targets and killed multiple animals and have yet to bend one.

Why would someone else's experience with a product drive you crazy? That's odd. I'm not talking an actual "bend" as in visible with the naked eye.........well except for those that hit the rebar inside targets. Those had an actual BEND behind the inserts. I'm talking "putting the arrow on a spinner and it has a visible wobble now". That happened to every single one of the 1/2 dozen I was shooting.........within the first three weeks of shooting them. And that wobble was always in the last 6-8" closest to the insert end. There's nothing to "beg to differ" on this.

If you're never going to shoot them past 40 yards, you may never notice a difference. But at 60+ the flight differences are obvious if you shoot well enough to tell.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Why would someone else's experience with a product drive you crazy? That's odd. I'm not talking an actual "bend" as in visible with the naked eye.........well except for those that hit the rebar inside targets. Those had an actual BEND behind the inserts. I'm talking "putting the arrow on a spinner and it has a visible wobble now". That happened to every single one of the 1/2 dozen I was shooting.........within the first three weeks of shooting them. And that wobble was always in the last 6-8" closest to the insert end. There's nothing to "beg to differ" on this.

If you're never going to shoot them past 40 yards, you may never notice a difference. But at 60+ the flight differences are obvious if you shoot well enough to tell.

Agreed. I went the FMJ route last year. Ordered 12 and shot them at a Block Vault for 2 months leading up to archery season, probably 5 days a week, 12-24 arrows a day. Never hit anything hard or sent one into to the fence, all just into the block. I was getting tuned up for season and put them in a spinner and 6 of the 12 had an obvious wobbles, and with fixed blade broad heads would not tune. I can't speak to anyone else's experience, this is just mine. Now I shoot axis and have zero issues. As long as you set them up right (install the insert correctly and even out the arrow where cut) there will be no problems. Pair them with the BAR collars or some other aftermarket collar, they are bullet proof.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider

All I am saying is I have never had a problem nor has anyone I hunt with. I shoot daily out past 100 yards and super tune all my bows and friends bows for the last 5 years. I have yet to put an FMJ on a spinner that wasn’t true and that’s after hitting stuff and killing stuff. The axis arrows I used for 3 years prior don’t spin well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All I am saying is I have never had a problem nor has anyone I hunt with. I shoot daily out past 100 yards and super tune all my bows and friends bows for the last 5 years. I have yet to put an FMJ on a spinner that wasn’t true and that’s after hitting stuff and killing stuff. The axis arrows I used for 3 years prior don’t spin well.

And yet your experiences don't drive me crazy. I have some Axis arrows that I bought in 2007 that still spin true even after hitting hard stuff. I shoot at 75lbs and 32 1/2" draw. Perhaps those FMJ's just didn't like that. Who knows? All I know is that long range groups started opening up by the third week of shooting them. And once I put them on a spinner I realized why. I think that people should know going in that they aren't as indestructible as some claim. The ACC's aren't either, but they sure as heck held their tolerances better than the FMJ's did.

OP
B
I’ve got my choices down to a Axis and Hexx any recommendations on one over the other?

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like the 5mm match grade Axis with HIT inserts and our Impact Collars. Put one lengthwise through a hog last week with no damage. It's back in the quiver.

I’d shoot the axis 300. I’m also not a fan of FMJ’s for the reasons above and my own experience.

With a 30 inch draw you might have to go to a 260 spine depending on your arrow length.