Easton Axis 5mm spline setup

I am currently shooting a Prime Centergy with a 29 inch draw and 70 lb draw weight. I have been shooting Easton Axis 5mm shafts with a 50 grain brass insert, 100 grain tip, and three fletch blazer vanes. Brings me to roughly 480 grain setup. According to Eastons chart I need to move to a .300 spline so I spoke with my local pro shop and talked to him about my concerns of being under splined. He had me come in and put it on paper. My initial setup with the .340 looked great while the .300 spline was torquing. I'm not nearly as educated as most when it comes to arrow setup. Was hoping to get some input from others. Should I look at a .300 spline with more weight up front? Or am I over thinking it and just stick with what is working? Appreciate any input.

Justin

Hoot

WKR
I shoot the same bow and same draw length. My bow is around 71-73lbs depending on how I have the cables twisted up. I have tested a lot of arrows over the last two years, and the arrows that tune the best, and are the most forgiving are .340-.350 spined arrows. I currently run .300 axis with 25gr insert/25gr collar and a 125gr point. This tore stiff for me as well, but once I got my vertical nock travel (advance top cam two twists and set rest about 1/8" nock high) I adjusted the stiff tear out via the flexis cable guard and I moved my rest out from center shot 1/32"

All that to say, your current arrow is probably the most forgiving for tune. The spine charts don't take into account your cam system. If you are happy with your current weight (I like to be right there 475-500gr) then I would say don't change...

tsm213

FNG
What’s your arrow length?
I’m shooting a Sr6 at 28.5 draw and 68 lbs. I run a .340 Fmj at 27 inches and the stock hit with a collar. Total arrow is around 460 grains. They shoot great.
There’s no cut and dry for spine. You need to try a few different setups and see what shoots best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Usually, you can make a couple of different spines match your set up. A short 340 spine arrow with less tip weight might match the same spine as a longer 300 spine with more tip weight.

The question is what specs do you want for your arrow? Do you have a preferred FOC? total weight and speed? If so then you build an arrow that meets those spec and spines right for your set-up.

The end goal is to have an arrow with the specs you want and shoots good from your bow. If you have that then awesome.

wayoh22

WKR
I'd stick with the 340 IMO. I was running my Nitrux with a 260 spine Easton Axis (Specs: 29 3/4 DL, 70lb, 75g brass up front,100g tips) and was dead on for me. Switched to a different pro shop by me and had them test the poundage and found out I was actually shooting 64lbs instead of 70lbs. They pumped it to 70 and I ended up switching to a 300 spine with only 50g brass up front to which I'm finding to be a little more accurate and faster as well.

Point is, different strokes for different folks. Find something that works for you and stick with it. More than one way to skin a cat and get the same result.

Marble

WKR
I think you would need to tune for each arrow. It reminds me of changing bullets in reloading and expecting the same seating depth to work for both loads. So the answer to your question is maybe.. need more info and work.

And I also think you should try a broadhead on there and see how it does.

I shot 340s that shot pretty good, not as good as I wanted, but when I put a broadhead on, shit went south. Now with 300s its just right.

The arrows, 300 vs 340, are also slightly, very slightly, different diameters.

Change one thing, change everything.

I'M NOT EXPERT! This just my experience.

Twitch

WKR
Pretty much the same boat. I have a helix ultra at 69/29”. It shoots Axis 340 with 100/60insert good, but broadheads were TERRIBLE. For an experiment I maxed the limbs down (73ish) and rigged an Axis 300 identically to my 340’s.... absolute money. The most perfect flight I’ve gotten, and nailing 2” dots at 60 with broadheads...

MattB

WKR
My 65# 27.5" 2020 Hoyt Turbo was underspined with an Axis 340 cut at 27.5" with 125 gr. pt., 10 gr collar, and 16 gr. HIT. My sense is you will have problems with broadheads.

OP
huntaholic123
Appreciate the responses. Arrow length is 30 1/4. I’ve been shooting the QAD Exodus broadheads and have had excellent flight out to 60 on target.

this year im shooting

28 inch easton bloodline 330 6mm w/ 75 grain brass insert 100 grain either killzone or sevr 1.5.
3.5 in reflective wrap and 2.1 fusion 3 fletch.
66# bowtech experience 29 inch draw
458 grains should be around 270 fps with around 15% foc

had been shooting 495 grain gold tip velocity xt but want something a little flatter shooting for sheep this year