Easton Axis Collars

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting Axis arrows for several years now with brass HIT inserts with no durability issues. But I'm wanting to add some collars just for a little extra strength before next season. Leaning towards Iron Will Impacts but open to suggestions.

PS I like the HITs so not going to an outsert

Been shooting Axis arrows for several years now with brass HIT inserts with no durability issues. But I'm wanting to add some collars just for a little extra strength before next season. Leaning towards Iron Will Impacts but open to suggestions.

PS I like the HITs so not going to an outsert
I've used both iron will and ethics archery. Both are good, ethics is a little cheaper. No difference in performance.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Warmsy

WKR
I was determined to shoot at rocks, logs, knots in trees... But I destroyed about 3 dozen arrows before I finally got the iron will collars. I epoxy the collars and hot melt the inserts. I absolutely love my setup now. They look real nice, too.

Bump79

WKR
I was determined to shoot at rocks, logs, knots in trees... But I destroyed about 3 dozen arrows before I finally got the iron will collars. I epoxy the collars and hot melt the inserts. I absolutely love my setup now. They look real nice, too.
Are you epoxying the insert and hot melt the collar? That would be the correct way in my experience and per Easton & IW instructions.

Bump79

WKR
The real benefit in my opinion of the IW collar is that the steel version is 25 grains. So if you choose, you can shoot 25 grain heavier field tips with no collar for all around shooting and on your broadhead setup use the collars. That's when you really need them in my opinion.

One thing I don't hear much about is putting a small chamfer on the interior AND exterior of arrow shafts. Easton provides the tool for the interior but if you do the exterior as well it helps with some of the splitting that occurs from target shooting them.

Warmsy

WKR
Are you epoxying the insert and hot melt the collar? That would be the correct way in my experience and per Easton & IW instructions.
I may have misunderstood the directions, but I epoxy the collar and hot melt the HIT insert because I have a few different heads (small game, turkey decapitator, and broadheads), that are different weights and it's nice to be able to switch out different weight HIT inserts with different weight heads. I also like the hot melt for spinning the heads true, but the IW collars pretty much create a situation where everything spins perfect.

Also, IW offers different insert and collar weights so you can really fine-tune your arrows with any head ..

MattB

WKR
Dumb question but why epoxy for one and hot melt for the other?

Edit: read down further and saw your explanation.

I found the collars are more for broadhead/fieldpoint concentricity vs strength.. If you're looking too add strength to the end piece, you should look into arrow collars

Elk river archery makes the too.
There just cut down aluminum shafts i believe tho.
I've considered using them but I actually don't want to add any more weight to my setup.

Marble

WKR
Why not just use the BAR from easton? It weighs 5 grains and costs about $15 for a dozen.

They work really well and are super simple to use, install and remove.

I agree the Axis are pretty tough, but I've crunched some of the ends of the shafts when striking hard objects. I haven't had that happen with a BAR installed. Not saying it can't happen, but it seems to make the arrow more durable in my redneck testing for minimal cost and little to no change in arrow flight.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Warmsy

WKR
Why not just use the BAR from easton? It weighs 5 grains and costs about $15 for a dozen.

They work really well and are super simple to use, install and remove.

I agree the Axis are pretty tough, but I've crunched some of the ends of the shafts when striking hard objects. I haven't had that happen with a BAR installed. Not saying it can't happen, but it seems to make the arrow more durable in my redneck testing for minimal cost and little to no change in arrow flight.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
You're kicked out of the cult haha.

I use the brass inserts in the axis 5mm for at least 5 years and never had an issue. Tens of thousands of arrows. On my arrows with broadheads, I do use the BAR rings that give it some extra security. Never had an issue with the bar adapters even on these armor skinned boars around here. The bars are easy on/off, and have virtually no impact on your pins. Practice without them for easy arrow pull, put them in your broadhead and you dont have to worry about impact change. I guess I need to show myself out the cult gate as well.

The important part of the axis/hit inserts are taking the nock off when installing them so the air pocket doesn’t push the hit forward, allowing them at least 24 hours to cure and squaring, chamfering and cleaning the inside of the arrow BEFORE you install the hit. That epoxy won’t budge if it’s used properly.

I don’t think there’s too much of a wrong answer here so long as you are using the correct spine for whatever collar and point weight you decide to go with.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Been shooting Axis arrows for several years now with brass HIT inserts with no durability issues. But I'm wanting to add some collars just for a little extra strength before next season.
Are you expecting harder animals next season? :ROFLMAO:

For whatever reason........whenever I try to make something "just a little better......just because", I tend to screw up what I already had. I'd leave them alone UNTIL you start to see some problems. I've been using different arrows with HIT's for 15 years and except for a couple of those arrow types I haven't had any issues at all without collars, and I'm shooting long draw and higher poundage.

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Are you expecting harder animals next season? :ROFLMAO:

For whatever reason........whenever I try to make something "just a little better......just because", I tend to screw up what I already had. I'd leave them alone UNTIL you start to see some problems. I've been using different arrows with HIT's for 15 years and except for a couple of those arrow types I haven't had any issues at all without collars, and I'm shooting long draw and higher poundage.
No not necessarily but ya know.... just screwing with stuff in the off season Lol