Easton Axis high FOC build - SS Footers

apohlo

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. I want to share a project I completed a few years back to improve FOC on my Axis 340s. With this mod, I bumped up to a 16.5% FOC, 473 grain setup that are tough as nails, penetrate like no other, and still shoot at a respectable velocity.

It's best to read the entire thread over on ArcheryTalk below:
Axis Footer Build for >FOC | Archery Talk Forum

...But to save everyone's time, I summarized the important aspects in this thread. Hope this helps someone!

The metal I ordered is perfect for footing the axis 340 arrows at .3125" OD and a wall thickness of .02".
Therefore, the ID of the tube is .2725", creating an impressive .0025" tolerance between the shaft OD.
You can see how they turned out- Each footer weighs .085oz (37grains) and is 1 1/16" long.

I originally had the idea of spinning the piece with a drill and so acheive the bevel and cutoff, however I found that the chuck, even with the only a slight amount of pressure, would transform the cylindrical tube to more of a trivex shape. With a narrow .002 tolerance, I could not slip the steel onto the shaft like normal. SO, I cut a 1.5" thick piece from a 2" dowel, cut a 5/16" hole in the middle, cut a line from the outside to the new hole, and inserted the piece into my lathe. The wood piece, with the cut, would compress ever so slightly in the chuck to grip the steel from all sides, therefore eliminating any issues of concentric warping.

I then used a file to bevel the back edge, all the while maintaining a smooth transition to the new wall thickness. While the lathe was spinning, I also used deburring compound to make sure no sharp edges were created, and simply used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the piece at my desired length. Each part required individual attention due to their detail and complexity, but I was able to make every one nearly identical!

After gluing them onto the arrow shaft, I can run my hand across the lip in the direction of the arrow with no issues- my main concern was tearing up targets on arrow retrieval.

2015-04-12 16.47.58.jpg
Completed arrow weight is 473grains, FOC @ 16.5%, total arrow length ctn = 27.25"

Fletched helical with lime green and white FF Sk200's, wrapped with 6" Onestringer customs and double doggs. (the pic doesn't quite show the true colors...)

2015-04-14 20.58.58.jpg

OP
apohlo

apohlo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!

Online Metals... Pretty sure it was shipped to my door in less than a week.

Hey guys. I want to share a project I completed a few years back to improve FOC on my Axis 340s. With this mod, I bumped up to a 16.5% FOC, 473 grain setup that are tough as nails, penetrate like no other, and still shoot at a respectable velocity.

It's best to read the entire thread over on ArcheryTalk below:
Axis Footer Build for >FOC | Archery Talk Forum

...But to save everyone's time, I summarized the important aspects in this thread. Hope this helps someone!

The metal I ordered is perfect for footing the axis 340 arrows at .3125" OD and a wall thickness of .02".
Therefore, the ID of the tube is .2725", creating an impressive .0025" tolerance between the shaft OD.
You can see how they turned out- Each footer weighs .085oz (37grains) and is 1 1/16" long.

I originally had the idea of spinning the piece with a drill and so acheive the bevel and cutoff, however I found that the chuck, even with the only a slight amount of pressure, would transform the cylindrical tube to more of a trivex shape. With a narrow .002 tolerance, I could not slip the steel onto the shaft like normal. SO, I cut a 1.5" thick piece from a 2" dowel, cut a 5/16" hole in the middle, cut a line from the outside to the new hole, and inserted the piece into my lathe. The wood piece, with the cut, would compress ever so slightly in the chuck to grip the steel from all sides, therefore eliminating any issues of concentric warping.

I then used a file to bevel the back edge, all the while maintaining a smooth transition to the new wall thickness. While the lathe was spinning, I also used deburring compound to make sure no sharp edges were created, and simply used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the piece at my desired length. Each part required individual attention due to their detail and complexity, but I was able to make every one nearly identical!

After gluing them onto the arrow shaft, I can run my hand across the lip in the direction of the arrow with no issues- my main concern was tearing up targets on arrow retrieval.

View attachment 260686
Completed arrow weight is 473grains, FOC @ 16.5%, total arrow length ctn = 27.25"

Fletched helical with lime green and white FF Sk200's, wrapped with 6" Onestringer customs and double doggs. (the pic doesn't quite show the true colors...)

View attachment 260687
Is this considerably cheaper then iron will collars?

OP
apohlo

apohlo

Lil-Rokslider
Is this considerably cheaper then iron will collars?
I think that chunk of metal shipped to my door was around $25.

The IW collars are great and I got to check them out at ATA last year... I think they are around $40 and have two grain weights.

I built mine years before they existed, so who knows, maybe they took some notes from me :)

Last edited:

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice work Apohlo. This is a much cheaper way to make a footer since you are cutting a tube of material. Our Impact Collars have a flange that goes over the end of the arrow which requires us to bore out the inside diameter. We do this in the hardened condition to a tight tolerance, so it take a lot of machine time. The advantage is that this flange protects the end of the shaft, increases bending strength, and holds the collar in place making gluing optional. Guys with the time and tools could save a few bucks with your method though.

OP
apohlo

apohlo

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work Apohlo. This is a much cheaper way to make a footer since you are cutting a tube of material. Our Impact Collars have a flange that goes over the end of the arrow which requires us to bore out the inside diameter. We do this in the hardened condition to a tight tolerance, so it take a lot of machine time. The advantage is that this flange protects the end of the shaft, increases bending strength, and holds the collar in place making gluing optional. Guys with the time and tools could save a few bucks with your method though.
Awesome to hear your feedback on these. I'm super impressed with your collars, and I'll likely buy a set for my next build to save me the time of making more, for the extra few bucks. Thanks for explaining the engineering differences - definitely helps showcase why yours are better!