Easton Axis spine decision

Lawnboi

WKR
Look, guys make too much of tweaking arrow spine. In a modern compound, I've never seen a situation for an over spined hunting arrow didn't tune.

Many times a under spined arrow won't tune-too whippy.

I've been shooting over spined hunting arrows for about 30 years in multiple bows- all tuned perfectly. Plus, why wouldn't you want a more durable arrow for hunting?

When I went through the same thing I almost bought the 300s, I figured both would work, but to keep foc reasonably up I would have ended up with a 500+grain arrow. The 470 grain 340s Iv got are already moving at a whopping 260fps with my stubby arms and I didn’t want to lose any more. I was darn close on the 340s so I just ran them.

joshjt25

FNG
I think the 340's will work as well. That's what I shoot. My arrows are 27 inch carbon to carbon with a 16 grain insert, 12 grain footer, and 125 grain broadhead. They shoot perfect out of my bow at 67 lbs and 28.5 inch draw.

MattB

WKR
I will be in the 12%-13% FOC range. My setup right now is right at 8% which I know is not ideal but seems to fly good. I must admit I haven’t experimented with Different FOC much, and it would be nice to make the “perfect” arrow setup for me

I wouldn't worry about FOC in the least. Just make sure you have adequate dynamic spine.

Marble

WKR
correct me if I’m wrong but if you were barely underspined with 340s then maybe I should stick with 340s since I plan on only putting 150 up front (Broadhead and insert) plus I have slightly shorter arrows and slightly lower IBO. Am I on the right track?
Yes you are. Dont get me wrong, the arrows were still shooting great, and maintained accuracy out at distance. They papered really nice and bare shafted great too. So it sounds like they were just fine. But during practice there was a difference in how these arrows grouped vs the same arrow set up, minus 60 grains up front.

So I think you are on the right track with 340s. My first set I had 141 up front (hit insert and tip) second set was 200.

Marble

WKR
Look, guys make too much of tweaking arrow spine. In a modern compound, I've never seen a situation for an over spined hunting arrow didn't tune.

Many times a under spined arrow won't tune-too whippy.

I've been shooting over spined hunting arrows for about 30 years in multiple bows- all tuned perfectly. Plus, why wouldn't you want a more durable arrow for hunting?

The last sentence is where I'm at. I think that stiffer, heavier, more durable arrow has more up side.

9092SD

FNG
340 spine with 55 gr up front 100 gr broadhead. 26.5 in shaft and I draw 75lbs @ 27.5 inches and arrows tune nicely.

Going to experiment with the 300 spine this offseason to see if there's any material difference.

Bbell12

WKR
After reading this thread I realized that I’ve been under-spined all last season. No wonder I couldn’t get my FP’s and broadheads to fly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wweaver

FNG
I would stick with 300s as others have recommended. 340 will work but 300 will allow you to adjust front end weight up and down more to get the FOC you want and will tune better.

Fullfan

WKR
Just FYI. I shoot a vxr28 28.5” arrow at 66 lbs.

bought and built a dzn of Easton axis 340. Used the 75 gn 1/2 outsert and a 100 gn head. Total weight was around 490. Arrows would not group and shot all over the place.
Then I bought a dzn of axis 300’s with the same set up. They are flying like darts. Lesson learned. The 340 was way Under spine

Attachments

• 8CA815D4-EBC7-45A1-A6EF-24381864B0E3.png
    8CA815D4-EBC7-45A1-A6EF-24381864B0E3.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 10
Im shooting a kudu 100gr right now, would yall bump up to the thicker 150gr broadhead and forget the insert or keep the 100gr and ad the 50gr insert?
I like the 125 kudu a bunch (especially the contour plus) but the 100gr are too small for my taste. I have seen 2 elk shot with them live way longer than they should have... neither went far, but they lived a long time with holes through both lungs... one got a whole quiver full of kudus, the other we just had to watch for a long time.

my bull this year was dead in seconds with the 125 contour plus and left good blood. The 150 is a wicked head at 1.4” cutting diameter, both do good work.

the 100gr don’t cause enough damage for me... the one we watched live for a long time I gutted just to see what the hell, and the head was still razor sharp, but it was just not much damage, 75% of the lungs looked healthy, only circles around the wound had trauma, and that elk didn’t bleed.

as for spine, what length are you cutting them to? I would just make it easy and get 300’s but I think you may be able to get by with 340 if you cut short enough.

for reference, I shoot 73#@28” arrows cut 28” c-c shooting 180gr up front and have some wiggle room still with 300’s