Easton Axis va. FMJ Spine/Weight Question

breeds13

FNG
Looking into getting some new arrows for this upcoming hunting season. Still fairly new to bow hunting so I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to arrow spine/weight.

I've been looking at both the Easton Axis 5mm or Easton FMJ 5mm. Would like to run 50 or 75 grain brass inserts with 125 grain broadheads. I currently shoot a Mathews VXR 31.5 with 29" draw at 65#. The Easton arrow spine chart currently has me around the 300 spine mark for both the Axis and FMJ, assuming my arrows are cut at 28" which is what I currently shoot, and utilize a 50 or 75 grain brass insert.

Below are the 4 scenarios I have looked at and their calculated total arrow weights:
- Axis, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 50g insert = 474.6 Total Arrow Weight
- Axis, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 75g insert = 499.6 Total Arrow Weight
- FMJ, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 50g insert = 511 Total Arrow Weight
- FMJ, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 75g insert = 536 Total Arrow Weight

My question is: which arrow setup would be the best for whitetail/hog/exotic hunting here in Texas around the hill country, mostly out of tree stand or pop up blind with 20-50 yard shots. Also, am I at risk of being under/over spine with any of those particular combinations?

Thanks in advance.

Any of those arrow configurations are perfectly capable of killing the animals you're hunting at the ranges you intend to shoot. Increased arrow weight increases penetration at the cost of trajectory. Arrow weight vs. speed/trajectory is a trade-off, and the "best" combination is up to you to determine. Hunting from a static position with the opportunity to pre-range multiple reference points should mean that you'll be pretty confident in the yardage before you shoot, so a faster arrow with flatter trajectory (to mitigate the effect of misjudged range) is likely of less benefit to you compared to a spot-and-stalk hunter on the ground moving around a lot with less opportunity to range the animal/surroundings before shooting.

300 spine should be fine for any of those arrow configurations. Easton's spine chart instructions are somewhat convoluted, but best I can figure, you should use an "effective" draw weight of 78-81# to select a spine from their chart (65# actual DW + 5# for bows with rated speed of 341-350 fps + 3# per 25 gr of additional point weight). Easton doesn't explicitly mention insert weight, but I would assume that what they consider to be a "standard" front end configuration consists of a 100 gr point with 12 gr aluminum insert, so your potential arrow builds would be running 63-88 gr heavier than "standard". FWIW, Gold Tip and Victory also recommend 300 spine for your potential builds. Someone with access to spine calculation software may come along and be able to give you a more precise recommendation.

wayoh22

WKR
300 spine is perfect. Any of those configurations will work, it just really comes down to personal preference of weight vs speed. I'd go with the Axis if I were in your boots just because it's good overall arrow and more than enough for what you're hunting. Only reason I'd be against the FMJ is that it seems overkill IMO for whitetail and hogs. Nothing against the FMJ's as I've always wanted to try them but I'll stick with the Axis till something changes my mind.

Keep in mind the arrow weights above are not your final arrow weights. Still need to account for vanes and nocks. Also wraps and a BAR if you run those. You're probably looking at a minimum of 500g arrow.

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm running a similar setup (66# 29.5" Traverse) shooting a 28.5" Axis 300 with 125gr head, 25 gr impact collar, 16 gr HIT insert, 4" wrap and 4x Max Stealths. My arrows come in at 524gr total and control my fixed blades nicely out to 60 (furthest I've shot them). I plan to use them on everything from deer and pigs here in Texas to elk in Colorado this fall.

5998e875d85cb1e21e67b36d12e28087.jpg

Are you including your fletching in your total arrow weights?

Last edited:

KineKilla

WKR
Shoot the 511gr FMJ setup. Axis are great arrows but they suck to pull out of foam targets. I shoot both, one setup for target/3D and the FMJ for hunting.

The only reason I shoot the Axis at all is because I bought a bunch of them used on AT before I realized how badly they suck to pull from foam blocks.

Read1t48

WKR
I'm just the opposite in that I could care less about how the Axis pulls out of targets (and I don't find them too difficult). More importantly, the Axis is a very durable arrow -- more so than the FMJ because of the carbon. And in my experience, the Axis is one of the most durable carbon arrows on the market. The match grade are an excellent all around arrow for hunting and target. So my preference, unless your working toward an extra heavy arrow, is to go with the Axis.

KineKilla

WKR
From what I have seen, the FMJ is more durable than the Axis. The Axis is a fine arrow but a miss into a rock (or other hard surface) is still a miss into a rock and it's going to cost you an arrow.

I have yet to find an arrow shaft that can survive a header into a tree, rock or wall and be shootable.

My thought on the OP's original choices were based on my experiences and his overall setup. I like my arrows at or near 500gr with a decent FOC but not too extreme. I think the FMJ @ 511 is what one I would pick so that's what I recommended.

The Axis at 499gr would be my second choice. I may even drop my FMJ point weight to 100 and come in around 486 total weight and see how my bow liked that set up as well.

These are just my opinions and experiences of course. YMMV

Zac

WKR
Probably comes down to the age old carbon vs aluminum question. If you are pretty anal about arrow upkeep the FMJ is great. I like them because you don't have to nock index at all and they are probably the most consistent hunting arrow around. However they are also the most fragile shaft as well. You really can't risk shooting groups at all. Also you need to be very diligent about spinning them before you hunt with them. That being said most people including myself find themselves shooting Axis.