Easton Axis vs FMJ

paxamus

WKR
I shoot a heavy bow (84 lb Hoyt- I like a heavy bow). I currently shoot GT Pierce Platinum Kinetic 250’s. I’m thinking about switching to one of the Easton’s and have been doing some research on both. Which ones do y’all think would be the best? I kinda want the FMJ’s for a little extra strength. Pluses and minuses for both would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have seen both axis and fmj break from side impacts, lik grazing a branch or target making it go sideways. but ive also hear and know people that have had an FMJ bend on them and if you dont notice it that could be a big issue hunting. and you can ruin a quiver of arrows fast after a fall. but both seem to be awsome on clean hits on deer that ive seen.

npm352

WKR
I've used both, but different applications. I put together some water buff arrow with fmj and a big single bevel broadhead.... previous posters are correct as they can bend from others hitting them. I have shot axis for a decade on my regular deer, elk, turkey, sheep etc and still like them. I personally think they are a pretty tough, do it all arrow. I imagine there are better arrows, or lighter arrows, but I have stuck with axis.

I shoot a heavy bow (84 lb Hoyt- I like a heavy bow). I currently shoot GT Pierce Platinum Kinetic 250’s. I’m thinking about switching to one of the Easton’s and have been doing some research on both. Which ones do y’all think would be the best? I kinda want the FMJ’s for a little extra strength. Pluses and minuses for both would be appreciated

I think best bang for your buck personally are the axis arrows. However, if you want to spend the little bit extra money you certainly can’t go wrong with the FMJ. Either one will not disappoint!

Marble

WKR
Axis with the BAR has been getting it done for me. I think the collars or BARs are really important when putting on a broadhead.

They aren't too pricey and they are easy to work on.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Which collar/footer do you suggest?

I have and like the iron will collars. I pulled an arrow out of a tree. No damage. I had a hard impact on a frontal on a moose. Broke the broadhead but arrow was still perfect.

10ringer

WKR
010331af21fda191fc45ee1d0f130a4b.jpg

fe513d3c8758f8ae1a1f9b4ad300ebeb.jpg

Axis with Iron Will outsert and 50 or 75 grains of brass insert all day long. Spend a little more and get the match grade arrow for 001 straightness and weight matched. If you do any shooting in a bag target, take off the 25 grain collars and run a field point that equals your broadhead plus the 25 you just removed. You will appreciate the flush connection of a field point to the arrow with no collar so it pulls from the target without snagging. If you shoot foam leave the collar on as they pull out much easier with it on.

Yeah so, I am not a super technical archery guy so can’t offer a really informed opinion. I will say My bow is on the heavier side too. 76#, 30ish draw. Moves my Maxima red 438 grain arrow a touch over 300 FPS.

After 2 years, I wasn’t thrilled with the Maxima reds (Groups good but not great and they break a lot) so I just bought some 260 and 300 spine axis to try along with a 300 spine fmj. Haven’t shot them yet but they are All stiff as hell compared to the Maxima reds. The fmjs are $12.50 each vs $9.50 for the axis (regular). And the fmjs are 12 gpi vs 10.7 for axis so on a 30 inch arrow you will pick up 30-40 grains of extra weight. The guy who built my arrows said the fmj was a bit of a pain to work with. Needed a bit more filing to remove burs from the cut. He is a serious shooter (Bow shop jockey / hunter / target competitions / 100-200 arrows a day) and said he prefers the axis.

If they shoot roughly the same, I am inclined to go with the axis.

After reading some posts on here, I also ordered some iron will collars and had the arrows built with 50 grain inserts. I am going to play with the components a bit but as posted above I am thinking a 125 grain field point for practice and a 25 grain collar plus 100 grain broadhead for hunting. That formula will add roughly 100 grains to my arrow and should be more durable.

Lytro

WKR

Depending on your draw length, I would go with the Axis because you can get a stiffer arrow with the Axis 260. At 84#, I would imagine you're going to be underspined with a 5mm FMJ 300. I shoot FMJ 300's and they explode like any other arrow from side impacts/heavy frontal impacts. I'm planning on ordering a dozen match grade Axis 260's this winter and putting iron will impact collars on them, which will allow me to increase FOC while maintaining roughly the same arrow weight.

Marble

WKR
Yeah so, I am not a super technical archery guy so can’t offer a really informed opinion. I will say My bow is on the heavier side too. 76#, 30ish draw. Moves my Maxima red 438 grain arrow a touch over 300 FPS.

After 2 years, I wasn’t thrilled with the Maxima reds (Groups good but not great and they break a lot) so I just bought some 260 and 300 spine axis to try along with a 300 spine fmj. Haven’t shot them yet but they are All stiff as hell compared to the Maxima reds. The fmjs are $12.50 each vs $9.50 for the axis (regular). And the fmjs are 12 gpi vs 10.7 for axis so on a 30 inch arrow you will pick up 30-40 grains of extra weight. The guy who built my arrows said the fmj was a bit of a pain to work with. Needed a bit more filing to remove burs from the cut. He is a serious shooter (Bow shop jockey / hunter / target competitions / 100-200 arrows a day) and said he prefers the axis.

If they shoot roughly the same, I am inclined to go with the axis.

After reading some posts on here, I also ordered some iron will collars and had the arrows built with 50 grain inserts. I am going to play with the components a bit but as posted above I am thinking a 125 grain field point for practice and a 25 grain collar plus 100 grain broadhead for hunting. That formula will add roughly 100 grains to my arrow and should be more durable.
Dont be afraid to build an arrow around 525 to 550. People freak out and think it will drastically effect drop and speed and it's not as drastic as people think. At shorter range, the lighter arrow will fly a little flatter and drop less. At longer range, the heavy arrow will out do it.

Bows become more efficient with a heavier arrow and also have less vibration which means less noise.

Lytro

WKR
Dont be afraid to build an arrow around 525 to 550. People freak out and think it will drastically effect drop and speed and it's not as drastic as people think. At shorter range, the lighter arrow will fly a little flatter and drop less. At longer range, the heavy arrow will out do it.

Bows become more efficient with a heavier arrow and also have less vibration which means less noise.
x2

I shoot a 574 gr arrow and love it. It still travels 264 fps out of my 70#/30" Triax and is nearly silent. One of the guys I shoot with claims he never realizes when I release until he hears my arrow smack the target down range. I took a pretty good sized whitetail this month from 30 yards quartering away. My arrow entered just above the stomach and exited through the lower opposite shoulder sticking halfway into the ground. The deer didn't move until after the arrow exited, and only made it 50 yards on a full sprint before expiring.

Marble

WKR
I've had the
x2

I shoot a 574 gr arrow and love it. It still travels 264 fps out of my 70#/30" Triax and is nearly silent. One of the guys I shoot with claims he never realizes when I release until he hears my arrow smack the target down range. I took a pretty good sized whitetail this month from 30 yards quartering away. My arrow entered just above the stomach and exited through the lower opposite shoulder sticking halfway into the ground. The deer didn't move until after the arrow exited, and only made it 50 yards on a full sprint before expiring.
Same experience. My buddy always comments how quiet my bow is. But he also shot an arrow in the high 300s.

Arrows blow through shit that you would never believe when they are heavy with sharp broadheads.

Zac

WKR
Why do you want to switch in the first place? The setup you have is more durable and more forgiving in the wind. I would consider the GT Kinetic Pierce to be an upgrade to both the FMJ and Axis, if you want to use Easton the Injection should have better tolerances than your GT.

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
Why do you want to switch in the first place? The setup you have is more durable and more forgiving in the wind. I would consider the GT Kinetic Pierce to be an upgrade to both the FMJ and Axis, if you want to use Easton the Injection should have better tolerances than your GT.

Was trying to get away from the outsert stuff- but think that I will try to refine my arrow some. Really intrigued by the Axis though