Easton Axis vs FMJ

Marble

WKR
So that's 6mm correct? If so than the 5mm axis would be better in the wind.

Im not a total expert, I just want to be clear. Just giving what works for me and how I understand the different components work.

They seem to be significantly cheaper also.

The outserts seem like they would be stronger, but also more expensive. I can say the weak spot on the Axis is the spot at the end of thr store where the insert ends there is only carbon and whatever tip you are using. That's where the BAR comes in I guess.

Zac

WKR
Well your gonna need a collar on the Axis to even come close to matching the durability you have now. I think the only advantage of 5mm is the ability to run a lighted nock.

DavePwns

WKR
I had problems with fmjs, bent from practice, broke each time I shot an animal, switched to axis with a custom collar and brass insert and it keeps its straightness after a lot of abuse. Also allowed me to have higher foc with the same 515 grain arrow weight

bowturk

FNG
Well your gonna need a collar on the Axis to even come close to matching the durability you have now. I think the only advantage of 5mm is the ability to run a lighted nock.
I think the nockturnals i use come with a few sleeves that allow you to use with larger diameter arrows. I use FMJ's for what its worth, haven't had any issues with them.

In terms of collars, is it Iron Will and the Easton Broadhead adaptor and what else is worth looking at?

Brendan

WKR
Why do you want to switch in the first place? The setup you have is more durable and more forgiving in the wind. I would consider the GT Kinetic Pierce to be an upgrade to both the FMJ and Axis, if you want to use Easton the Injection should have better tolerances than your GT.

Disagree completely. I used the GT Pierce Platinum, and I consider the Axis to be an upgrade. Micro Diameter arrows are a pain... The only way I'd consider using them would be with Iron Will D6 Inserts and collars with Iron will broadheads, but you still have the issue of lighted nocks working like crap with them.

Outserts (all of them) suck.

First thing is first. I shoot a 75 pound pse Xpedite, similar to your Hoyt I would imagine that it moves heavy arrows fast. This is a recipe for disaster when it comes to arrow life and I’ve come to terms with that. So I’ve been shooting lots and lots with a few different kinds of outserts and my conclusion is if you want a tough arrow your pin inside the arrow has to sit a good bit farther inside the arrow than the outsert, and a fair amount of the outsert has to slide down the shaft, if it doesn’t it makes too much leverage on bad impacts and it’s blow your arrow apart. So far I’ve used gt pierce platinums, firenock outserts, and oddly enough my favorite so far were blood sport evidence. Shooting these three pretty religiously over the last two years, I haven’t had a chance to try any sort of Stainless steel outserts but I imagine they work much better than the light aluminum ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
In terms of collars, is it Iron Will and the Easton Broadhead adaptor and what else is worth looking at?
Chris Dunlap with Elk River Archery makes custom collars for axis arrows. He made me a dozen over a year ago with brass inserts, which I still use to this day. I highly recommend him, each of my arrows was within 1 grain of each other...

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Dont be afraid to build an arrow around 525 to 550. People freak out and think it will drastically effect drop and speed and it's not as drastic as people think. At shorter range, the lighter arrow will fly a little flatter and drop less. At longer range, the heavy arrow will out do it.

Bows become more efficient with a heavier arrow and also have less vibration which means less noise.
I’ve noticed minimal to no change in trajectory or impact point with a 530g axis from a 70#/30” VXR 31.5 compared to 500g…thought I was an outlier. Glad to hear I’m not

I used fmj for years. So did my father. We took 12 animals in Africa with them. Some arrows were used on multiple animals. Have also shot bear and deer with them. I didn’t have the issues others hav reported regarding breaking. I did spin test them every year and would find some that were bent. Not many but a few over 3-4 years. I would use them again. I didn’t find them less durable. The fmj can bend but in my experience the carbon arrows I’ve used (Vap, rampage, injection 4mm, Easton da torch, Easton hex) all crack at about the same rate. I’ve used them footers and collars and while that does help the front I’ve still had mid shaft crack or nock end cracks. I switched from the fmj because I wanted to go lighter is all. I think they pull from targets easier especially 3D and block targets.

Wapiti_87

FNG
Went with axis 4mm to keep my weight where I wanted for ~280fps arrow speed. Have been durable and easy enough to pull from targets without bending. FMJ is a completely different arrow/specs

Warmsy

WKR
45# recurve. Tried the fmj, they bent like crazy. Very expensive test. I have been using the same 6 axis arrows with iron will hit and impact collars. I shoot at rocks all the time. Makes my buddy cringe... Haven't broken an arrow yet.

TheHammer

WKR
Fmjs for me…. I have been shooting them for 7 years. Never broke one in an animal. Have bent some in targets from not pulling them out squarely to the target.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 30

GreggB

FNG
These will work on either end of an Axis arrow. I use them on the front end to prevent that mushrooming over extended use.

MTmt

FNG
Been stated already but it’s worth repeating, the 5mm Axis match paired with Iron Will’s hardware in the front is hard to beat. I also appreciate the ability to order the finished product from Iron Will’s website.