Easton Hexx vs Victory RIP TKO?

So I bought a half dozen of each to try out and see which I liked, and each seems to have its pro's and cons.

They are set up as follows;
Easton Hex(3)-28.5", 330 spine, 75 gr brass insert, 100gr field point, 4" wrap, 3 AAE Max Stealth, Easton H nock (TAW 449gr)

Victory RIP TKO(6)-28.5", 300 spine, 75 gr brass insert, 25 gr IW collar, 100 gr field point, AAE nock, three are fletched with 4" wrap and three Max Stealths (TAW 498 gr), and three have the factory blazers (TAW 483 gr)

The Hexx seem to be shooting better for me with my average 60 yd group at 4-5" and the occasional one being better or worse. The RIP's on the other hand seem to be slightly more open groups maybe 6-7" average, but much less consistent. I have shot good groups with both, but the Hexx seem to be more consistent.

On the other hand the RIP's seem to be much sturdier than the Hexx's based on my six. I broke one of the original six Hexx after I shot over my target and hit a tree (well I broke it trying to pull it out) but the RIP that I stent into a 2x6 is still in one piece and shootable.

So as far as I can tell the arrows break down like this:
Hexx-Faster (pro), seem to be more consistently accurate (pro), cheaper (pro), Lighter(con), less durable (con),
RIP TKO-more durable (pro), heavier (pro), more expensive (con), seem to be less consistently accurate (con), slower (con, but still faster than my set up from last year)

I am leaning towards going with the Hexx since it is shooting better for me and comes in at a lower price. Am I going to regret the lower weight and decreased durability in these arrows for deer hunting? What would you go with?

Zac

WKR
Easton is always going to be more consistent than some arrow made in Mexico or where ever. Gillingham says out to 70 yards a .246 is the best option out to 70 yards. Somthing to do with more symmetrical spine dispersement over a larger surface area I think. If you wanted more durability I would just step up to the Axis and give yourself some more wall thickness.

ncavi8tor

WKR
The Hexx shafts are very spine consistent and have the tightest tolerances I have found for their price point. They're hard to beat for the money!! Made in America which is very important to me! I also agree with Zac about the Axis if you want more durability and weight. Also made in America.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You are also shooting too different spines. With field points a weaker spine is going to group better usually because they are more forgiving. Stick broadheads on there before you make a final decision.

Edit:

I'm referring to grouping at distance. We shoot really stiff arrows indoor, they groupon, but aren't as forgiving. Increase the distance and it becomes pretty evident. However a broadhead on the front of a weak shaft is a nightmare. So you need to find a balance point.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, you have a lot of variations between those two so you're comparing apples to oranges. Try the same spine with the same components to get a more accurate assessment. But you can't use the same components for those two vastly different arrow setups........that's a problem. Just the nock size and fit on your string can cause all kinds of consistency issues. And lastly, I'd try the RIP TKO's without the collars and compare them again. Personally, I think you got that backwards. Of those two arrows I'd be putting the collars on the Hexx, not the RIP's. The Hexx need them more.

OP
Trout&Buck
So it looks like I'll be shooting some broadheads today, and see how that goes. As far as the arrows having different spines, I'm not sure there is much I can do about that since the arrows dont come in the same spine except 400 which would be too weak.

I'd try the RIP TKO's without the collars and compare them again. Personally, I think you got that backwards. Of those two arrows I'd be putting the collars on the Hexx, not the RIP's. The Hexx need them more.
I did try the RIP's without collars, but they seem to shoot better groups with the added weight.

Any idea where I could find collars for the Hexx? I definately agree that they would benefit from collars.

Thanks for the input guys.

ndforbes

FNG
One other thing to note.... The Victory arrows come in a couple different options in regards to the arrow tolerances. The Elite option is .001" while the sport is only .006". That could also have something to do with the consistency issues if you aren't shooting the Elite version of those arrows. If my memory serves me correctly, the Hexx is .001" so they are going to be comparable to Victory's Elite option for the TKOs.

OP
Trout&Buck
One other thing to note.... The Victory arrows come in a couple different options in regards to the arrow tolerances. The Elite option is .001" while the sport is only .006". That could also have something to do with the consistency issues if you aren't shooting the Elite version of those arrows. If my memory serves me correctly, the Hexx is .001" so they are going to be comparable to Victory's Elite option for the TKOs.
My local shop only had the Elite/V1 RIP's, and the Hexx are also .001, so that shouldn't be causing any variation.

I'm going to shoot some broadheads this evening, so we'll see if that changes how the arrow are grouping for me.

Zac

WKR
Your center shot location is also going to vary with those to so make sure you switch that depending on which shaft your using. The fact that extra weight shot better on the Victory tends to favor the Hexx config being the proper spine for you at least with field tips. Also the extra diameter of the Easton may have pushed your point left slightly enough to put you into the correct spot if you were stiff with one of those setups.

KyleR1985

WKR
I’ve shot both, as well as a pile of other arrows. The rip Tko’s in almost identical build (28.75 c2c, 100gr ethics half out, tac 4 fletch or blazer 4 fletch, 125gr heads) are by far the best combo I’ve shot in the last several years.

As long as I’m cutting from both ends of the arrow, squaring both ends of the arrow, they’re incredibly repeatable.

Your listed arrow weights seem light by a little too. My above build checks in at 505-510gr depending on fletching.

I shoot 30”/76lb, they clock in at 295ish.

I’ve yet to have one damaged at the shaft/insert joint, with exception of a couple lost in trees. I’ve had a couple broken mid shaft by shearing off inside deer scapulas.

OP
Trout&Buck
Well, I was able to shoot some broadheads and broadhead/field point groups and the victory's were shooting better for me out to 40 yds (didn't shoot any further this evening). The factory fletched victory's were shooting the best followed by the ones I fletched, and then the Hexx were the largest groups (the broadhead was also hitting further right). I'll probably give it another few days of shooting but the victory's are looking pretty good.

ndforbes

FNG
Gotta say....I switched from Easton to Victory arrows two years ago and have been really happy with them. They have been way more durable for me and shoot great out of my bow. Good luck making your choice!

The Hexx shafts are very spine consistent and have the tightest tolerances I have found for their price point. They're hard to beat for the money!! Made in America which is very important to me! I also agree with Zac about the Axis if you want more durability and weight. Also made in America.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Was searching where Hexx shafts were made and saw your post. According to Easton they were not made in the USA.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 17-07-49 Facebook.png

Broke my first RIP TKO today, hit something hard inside the target at the public range, probably the insert off of another previously broken arrow. Sheared off right behind the IW insert in mine. Hoping I can salvage the collar but I’ll need vice grips to unscrew the field point so it may be trash.

Attachments

• 77F46EA2-3D02-4D3B-A26C-AA77063A3495.jpeg
    77F46EA2-3D02-4D3B-A26C-AA77063A3495.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 04F8B7D1-F562-4BEC-BDFA-7B52A6D469FC.jpeg
    04F8B7D1-F562-4BEC-BDFA-7B52A6D469FC.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 8