Easton Injections With VAP Outsert

Has anyone used VAP outserts with carbon injections? What are the disadvantages of using a outsert? Also what size will fit on 330 spine the gold ones? I have about 9 ramcats with regular threads on them that I don't want to replace.

Tilzbow

WKR
I'm using Firenock Aero Outserts and I've been pleased so far. The biggest disadvantage I've found is that it's tough to get them aligned perfectly so the broad head spins perfect but after building two dozen I'm getting better at it. I netted 15 of 24 and the balance are practice arrows. I found the same issue with the inserts for the Gold Tip Kinetics. I'm building the third dozen as soon as I get time and I expect to get all 12 right now that I've learned the tricks. With the point and outsert being larger in diameter than the shaft they also penetrate through most targets more than other arrows and I've ruined a few fletches as a result. Bag and Spider Web style target seems to work well, foam and bales not so much.

MattB

WKR
Darin Cooper has some commentary on this site which you can probably locate through the search function, but based on what I have read he really likes the VAP/Injexion combination. I have been playing with both the VAP outserts and aeroinserts (have not shot either). The VAP's are longer/less supported/more prone to bending and 20 grs. heavier, but I like the alignment mechanism (internal post) better. The Aeroserts are a great idea, but the ID varies a lot from unit to unit (you can experience from sloopy to really tighth fit on any given shaft through a dozen outserts), which I think will cause problems when it comes to getting BH's to spin. Tilzbow alluded to this above.

Tilzbow

WKR
I believe the issue with the Aero Outserts is related to differences in outer shaft diameter between arrows more than inconsistent inside diameters of the outsert. Regardless it still makes it difficult to get the alignment perfect....

That said I just started shooting broad heads with these arrows this week and I'm very pleased with the results.

MattB

WKR
I believe the issue with the Aero Outserts is related to differences in outer shaft diameter between arrows more than inconsistent inside diameters of the outsert.

That is what the company says, but I checked that by test fitting 11 outserts on one section of shaft and there was a signficant difference in the amount of slop from outsert to outsert. Some were very tight and some were much looser, so in that instance it was not a difference in shaft OD that was causing the varying fit.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I lucked out with the aero outserts. I was able wo weight match them with my arrows and they all fit well enough that I only had to swap 2 which were the same weight to get a fairly snug even fit. I did notice almost a grain weight difference in them though which was a bit odd. I remember one was a bit of an outlier.

jmez

WKR
I just started using them with FMJ Injexions and you will need the gold ones for 330 spine.

So far they fly well. Biggest disadvantage is target life. They have a collar that goes over the outside of the shaft so they grab when you pull them out. Have to give pretty good jerk to get them out of a bag. Though, this is no different than the BAR rings I was using to protect the shaft ends with the HIT inserts. They drug as well.

They will bend so Darin recommended putting them in with the low temp hot melt. I didn't know such a thing existed and that is what I'm using. I haven't pulled an insert out yet. If they do bend you can just lightly heat the outsert and pull it.

Seems like a good system so far and I like it better than the HIT inserts and also wanted nothing to do with the Deep Six stuff.

Bughalli

WKR
I looked at both and went the opposite direction. VAP arrows with Deep Six inserts. So far I really like them.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tested the Penetrator II's (gold ones) on my Carbon Injexions and didn't like how they bent when shooting something at an angle. Should see what an angled shot through plywood did to it! It led me to wonder what happens to my penetration and how my KE is robbed when I lose that energy. I also bent a couple simply from blowing through the target and into the ground. Do not have that problem using the deep six inserts and is easier to get my points more true to the shaft.

On perfect shots they work just fine and are the alternative if you feel the need to stick with standard thread tips. Another advantage is adding a bit more weight up front as well when you use these if that is what you are looking for. Or you can use two deep six inserts otherwise to get that weight up.

There are lighter Titanimum inserts/outserts as well but at $25 each I couldn't justify.

Some will praise them, some will not. Finding what you are confident in is a must!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why I don't like the insert/outsert from VAP. Both these arrows killed what was intended but with very little penetration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 171
OP
Highcountry_Hellrazor
Thanks Jared that's some good feedback. Sticking with Axis 300's after yours guys help. Don't see the need to switch and I prefer a little stiffer shaft.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is why I don't like the insert/outsert from VAP. Both these arrows killed what was intended but with very little penetration.

What shaft? I have killed quite a few animals with this combo and have never seen one of mine do this even after careening through rocks after a pass through...

jmez

WKR
Not sure what the shaft breaking has to do with the insert/outsert? That is where it will break every time if you cycle it in bending, which is what happens when you don't get penetration. Put a stick in a bottle and overbend it back and forth and it will break right at the top of the bottle as an analogy.

MattB

WKR

That is not good to see. What shaft size is that? The long outsert gives a lot of leverage against the shaft, but I was hopeful that the collar coupled with the center post would provide enough support for the BH/outsert but I guess not.