Easton Super Drive 23 target arrow

Lowg08

WKR
I wouldn’t. It could be but it’s not a great choice. I shoot 3d and I shoot the x cutters but go completely the other way and shoot vap .204. Even thinking of going to tko

dsotm223

FNG
Can it? Yes. Should you, probably not. The large diameter will hinder penetration.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Can it? Yes. Should you, probably not. The large diameter will hinder penetration.

I kinda hate this idea, all my broadheads cut a hole bigger than a 23 series shaft, well I think they all do. Iron will is a smaller cut, Exodus cuts a huge hole, so does a spitfire. I'm sure a bigger arrow is more likely to catch resistance than a smaller arrow, however most broadheads cut a hole big enough that anything smaller than 26/64" is going to follow behind just fine.

The issue I had with the Easton super drive is it's a lightweight large diameter that the durability was terrible in. Otherwise it's the same as any 2414,15, or 16 aluminum arrow, aside from gpi. Didn't use to have a bit of problem with those arrows.

I just believe friction from the target only matters on targets. Arrow with a broadhead on the front is going to penetrate just fine through tissue, muscle, and even bone. I think it's only a selling point.

dsotm223

FNG
I kinda hate this idea, all my broadheads cut a hole bigger than a 23 series shaft, well I think they all do. Iron will is a smaller cut, Exodus cuts a huge hole, so does a spitfire. I'm sure a bigger arrow is more likely to catch resistance than a smaller arrow, however most broadheads cut a hole big enough that anything smaller than 26/64" is going to follow behind just fine.

The issue I had with the Easton super drive is it's a lightweight large diameter that the durability was terrible in. Otherwise it's the same as any 2414,15, or 16 aluminum arrow, aside from gpi. Didn't use to have a bit of problem with those arrows.

I just believe friction from the target only matters on targets. Arrow with a broadhead on the front is going to penetrate just fine through tissue, muscle, and even bone. I think it's only a selling point.
More surface area always equals more friction. Smaller diameter shafts have less surface area.
Where aluminum is superior to carbon is that it is slicker, an aid to overcome friction.

You're also forgetting that flesh, muscle etc is elastic, meaning it doesnt just get pushed out of the way and stay out of the way, it "snaps" back into place or as close as it can to in place.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have wondered why this idea is still floating around. In the real world, the amount of drag on a 26/64 shaft compared to a 4mm would be, who cares!
Had a couple engineers arguing in the shop one night about carbon vs aluminum. Carbon rough and smaller surface, aluminum smooth and larger surface. After a few minutes, my head hurt.
As long as the shaft is smaller than the head, you’ll be OK.
I do agree that a thin wall target arrow would not be me first choice in a hunting arrow.

More surface area always equals more friction. Smaller diameter shafts have less surface area.
Where aluminum is superior to carbon is that it is slicker, an aid to overcome friction.

You're also forgetting that flesh, muscle etc is elastic, meaning it doesnt just get pushed out of the way and stay out of the way, it "snaps" back into place or as close as it can to in place.

In my experience muscle does not snap back into place, infact it actually gets pulled open. When something gets stitched up it's not to hold stuff in but rather bring everything back together to heal faster.

I'm sure in some instances a smaller arrow will penetrate slightly better, but in most hunting situations it's not going to matter.

OP
C

Cassman

FNG
is the 40 gr insert that easton has on there sight for sell the only one that can be used on this arrow? or is there another insert out there that is lighter and can be used?