Easy Beginner Sewing Projects

I’m not allowed to touch my wife’s sewing machines, but she has made several things for me that would be easy projects to start with. Most recently she made silnylon meat sacks, and she has made a couple gathered end hammocks.

One of my favorite diy items is a polar fleece sleeping bag liner that my mom made me 25 years ago, it’s just a simple sleeve that is sewn about 3/4 of the way up but it adds quite a bit of warmth to a bag and always feels warm instead of cold like nylon. It would be an easy starter project as well. She also made me a polar fleece jacket about the same time that’s still going strong.

Beendare

WKR
I agree with using a heavier fabric like 1.7 would be great to start with. I started with the 1.1 oz silnylon and there was a lot of frustration when I started due to the fabric being extremely hard to work with.

Yep, Sooo much easier than that siliconized very thin 1.1 oz sil. That stuff is a PITA. Managing that fabric is the hardest part of the project.

___

FS38

FNG
My wife has 3 sewing machines. I've never used but thought about it. I've got a large piece of silnylon in a box somewhere.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a good place to start:

I also have a build thread on a megatarp style shelter once you get some experience.

If you need help hit me up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's mine:

Read through all the comments because they contain information on the plans too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ZPP boxy bags, zipper pouches and tool rolls are what I started on. Ripstop by the roll has some good kits for these projects and they come with video instructions.

Im slowly learning myself but a couple things I have done so far are face masks, adding molle straps to gear, and a few small stuff sacks. Also made a belt from webbing. Im pretty amazed at the repairs I have been able to do also like repairing a worn nylon wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk