Eating Elk Intestine??

CJF

WKR
I've been watching Pure Trophies' YouTube channel. Those guys almost always take the (large?) intestine and stomach of the elk and drop it in their meat bags. They swear it makes some good food, but never show videos of cooking or eating it. How are they cooking this stuff? Has anyone else ventured into this seemingly forbidden culinary culture, if so is it any good?

Just need to know if I need to pack the guts out on my next kill!

Apollo117

WKR
My guess is they are using it as a sausage casing. I use real pig intestines when I make sausage.

rayporter

WKR
google -chitterlings

sold in the south at every grocery

believe it or not; the buffalo hunters craved fat so bad that they ate the intestines raw.

Beendare

WKR
Chewy as hell ....

Edit; Hey I love elk heart....many of the guys working for me love Menudo... monkey brains are considered a delicacy.....everybody has their thing. I grew up pretty poor and we ate cheap cuts of meat like heart and chicken gizzards regularly.

Last edited:
When my parent were in South Africa, the natives always had a pot of tripe boiling to eat out of anytime. All animals shot were taken back to camp and the guts were cleaned and thrown in the pot. BIG STANK, TOO!

hobbes

WKR
:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

No interest in learning to eat them unless I'm starving and someone beats me to all of the meat, and I do mean all of the meat.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My goodness, if I was stranded on an island and had a choice between stomach and intestines and vegetables........I'd pick the vegetables. And that's saying something.

PHo

WKR
I don't mess with the large intestines but my Asian family regularly uses pork small intestines in our rice porridge. We simply boil it in water before adding it into the porridge, and yes it is delicious. I've also heard of other people who'll use seasonings and put it on the bbq. That being said, I've always thought about taking the small intestines and stomach from my deer and pig kills but just never put in the effort.