Eating less on hunts?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Curious, do you guys not eating as much drink a lot of water? Im downing a minimum of 1.5 gallons a day including water for meals.
I average about 170oz a day when elk hunting, and that's hiking in and out every time from base camp or the truck......which adds more hiking miles each day for me.

I do drink a ton of water but it sounds like you just might need more food than me? Idk im pretty average size, 6ft 180lbs. I did keto for 2 years and intermittent fast periodically so maybe it has something to do with it, i always chow down enough dinner for at least 2 people at night and barely eat during the day year round. All ive eaten today is a perfect bar and i had coffee this morning. After a long run or workout i drink a protien shake tho

amassi

WKR
My appetite definitely decreases and I start eating later in the day, I sort of force myself to eat so I don't bonk. Once I get off the mountain my appetite comes screaming back for a couple days

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

AZSTM44

FNG
Curious, do you guys not eating as much drink a lot of water? Im downing a minimum of 1.5 gallons a day including water for meals. I like hot breakfasts, coffee, and dinner.

Imagining how much weight I could cut if I didnt eat or drink as much lol.
I drink about a gallon a day. The key is eating foods that are filling to trick your body into thinking you're full.

IMO, when hunting you get to use more energy, and it's just right that you replace them with the right quantity of calories.

OXN939

WKR
While hunting I tend to eat less.

Same. Usually consume about 2500 calories a day in the field, my Suunto said I burned like 8500 the day my buddy and I killed our Blacktails on Kodiak this year a few miles from camp and all I had was a packet of oatmeal and some raisins. Actually felt great that day TBH. Lost about 6 pounds over the week we were there.

Crushed probably 5000 calories a day the week after I got back.

*zap*

WKR
I think that the content of your food is more important than the calorie # and at home you may be eating foods that trigger wanting to eat more than you need.

A healthy non processed/non refined sugars diet is the best way to go no matter where you are.

I think that the content of your food is more important than the calorie # and at home you may be eating foods that trigger wanting to eat more than you need.

A healthy non processed/non refined sugars diet is the best way to go no matter here you are.
This is a great point that i didn't think about. I eat almost no junk food or refined sugar year round ever, and while hunting i eat extra clean, mostly fat and protein with a bit of clean carbs

Seeknelk

WKR
Stick with it if it works for you. I wish I could do the same but I need 3500 cals a day minimum. I packed for 4 days and only made it 3. Could have survived the 4th day but I was done there anyway. I can easily hit two peak refuels during just a day hunt, starting with a good breakfast and some snacks in there too. I wish I could pack less. Maybe I can if it's just Ribeyes, butter and olives.

Vandy321

WKR
I'm less hungry at altitude and have to force myself to snack during the day...although I do house my dinners in camp

It's science...according to Google.

1. Traveling to higher altitude increases leptin levels, which suppresses hunger. Even going from 6-7k to hunt at 10k can have this effect.

2. Higher elevations = less oxygen. Less oxygen = body produces more red blood cells, that increase can suppress hunger as well.

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
I am not hungry when I hunt, but to keep from crashing I take lots of jerky. It's light, packs all the energy I need and along with PLENTY of water I make it to camp where I'll always down a big ass steak (and potatoes, etc.). No breakfast, but most times a burrito (red or green chili) which I'll eat off of several time a day-- between jerky. Also pack Emergency packets for the night cap- no cramps.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
hey fellas. Science partners and I have been studying the energy requirements (and health benefits) of backcountry hunting. If you haven't read our studies...it's right up this topic's 10-ring:

Clarktar

WKR
I have to force myself to eat while hunting. I just get tired at night and want to sleep. Therefore, I eat far less when hunting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone's "engine" is different; if you've done enough trips and the calories you consume doesn't leave you tired or unable to get the miles in- then you're good to go

3000-3300 calories/day is pretty close to optimum for me, still at a significant deficit (figuring 7-8000 cals burned a day), but I can sustain my energy for multiple days with that amount.

I find that eating small amounts regularly throughout the entire day is pretty important for myself. I usually don't go more than a couple of hours without downing a bar or other calories.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There are some days that I doubt I'm getting 1000 calories up there, but I've never experienced the "crash" I always hear about. Perhaps my body is just used to a daily 18 hour fast year round. I eat dinner around 6pm most days, and then I don't eat anything until lunch around noon the next day........every day. Coffee in the morning, and coffee after lunch.

I have a hard time making a conscious effort to eat food when I'm out in the woods. I feel like I'm wasting valuable time. Best thing for me is quick snacks I can shove down my gullet without taking too much effort

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are some days that I doubt I'm getting 1000 calories up there, but I've never experienced the "crash" I always hear about. Perhaps my body is just used to a daily 18 hour fast year round. I eat dinner around 6pm most days, and then I don't eat anything until lunch around noon the next day........every day. Coffee in the morning, and coffee after lunch.

If it works for you, it works- no need to change anything. I can just be jealous as I'm carrying 1.5 lbs/day and you're probably in the .5-ish lb range :D

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If it works for you, it works- no need to change anything. I can just be jealous as I'm carrying 1.5 lbs/day and you're probably in the .5-ish lb range :D
I don't carry much food, but always start out with at least 3-4L of water. That's a lot of weight. I figure if we can survive 3 weeks without food, and only 3 days without water......I know where my priorities are. But I can only survive about 1/2 day without coffee, and after the dehydration headaches kick in from lack of water.........I wish I was dead. So I gotta have water......and coffee. :)

Last edited: