Eating ?

Rackmastr

WKR
Killed a young bull and an old bull around Sep 24th up in Northern BC. Older bull was white cape and rutting, but tasted good (thankfully). The younger bull is some of the best meat I've ever had.

OXN939

WKR
How is Caribou meat? I heard various things..

Caribou meat quality degrades so quickly during the rut because bulls actually drink the urine from cows. This is a biological marker for the beginning of breeding activity for the species, and combined with the process of bulls burning their fat reserves for fuel rather than eating, makes for a pretty gross experience. Think if a steak were marinaded in piss.

The good news is that before this happens, they're fantastic eating, as stated by everyone above. Just don't shoot a bull from October on and you will be A OK.

Caribou meat quality degrades so quickly during the rut because bulls actually drink the urine from cows. This is a biological marker for the beginning of breeding activity for the species, and combined with the process of bulls burning their fat reserves for fuel rather than eating, makes for a pretty gross experience. Think if a steak were marinaded in piss.

The good news is that before this happens, they're fantastic eating, as stated by everyone above. Just don't shoot a bull from October on and you will be A OK.
That is Spot On. When I first moved to the Arctic (kotzebue) an elder I was hunting with said its simple...Just don't hunt the month of October and your will be fine. Words to live by!

Walt

Sawtooth

FNG
I've had some caribou steaks and caribou chili, cooked up by my good friend in Delta Junction, Michael Rogers. It was some of the best wild meat I've eaten over the past 40 years of big game hunting, right up there with elk. Looking forward to bringing home some caribou meat from unit 23 this coming September!

VernAK

WKR
That is Spot On. When I first moved to the Arctic (kotzebue) an elder I was hunting with said its simple...Just don't hunt the month of October and your will be fine. Words to live by!

Walt

A veterinarian friend that hunts with me is of the opinion that bull moose and caribou have a life span about half that of the cows because of this urine drinking issue. He thinks the uric acid is bad for their liver. Sounds plausible to me.

A veterinarian friend that hunts with me is of the opinion that bull moose and caribou have a life span about half that of the cows because of this urine drinking issue. He thinks the uric acid is bad for their liver. Sounds plausible to me.

I don’t believe that uric acid would have any contact with the liver, because it would just be refiltered through the kidneys if it were ingested. I think that if enough of it was ingested it could lead to kidney failure, and premature death, but I don’t believe it would cause liver failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ono

FNG
My wife ranks ungulates as follows:
1. Caribou
2. Elk
3. Eastern whitetail
4. Blacktails
5. mule deer
Never taken a moose, so not in the list.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR

I've seen livers from bull caribou right after the rut that are discolored, gray and pasty looking. I do know that the biggest most dominant bulls usually die off by Christmas. They spend so much energy in the rut and don't eat...once winter hits, they're done.

VernAK

WKR
Urine-drinking by caribou bulls is a sign of commitment.

:) I'll say!

A few years back, we were breaking down a very big and old bull moose in mid-September. Butchering done, I slashed open the liver to see what it looked like. The inner liver was of a thick, liquid consistency that actually flowed down hill. About consistency of pouring concrete.