Eberlestock F1 (tall) mainframe build-out

OP
Newtosavage
Everyone keeps saying go with tall but I wonder how many of those guys are wearing their pack correctly. With the regular or tall they have the same amount of ladder rungs. The functionality of the load lifters is more only functional or has maxed its functionality if you are on the bottom 4 straps of the harness ladder. So if your normally on the top latter rungs with the regular a tall will do you a lot of good but if you’re 6’ like I am with a 18-19” torso the regular has the hip belt perfectly sitting half way over my IC’s with the harness on the last 4 rungs. If I got a tall version it would either leave me with the belt too low or the harness too high. If they made the tall with more ladder rungs then I would have gotten it because for someone like me that’s the only way a tall version would be more functional. Just backpacked 28 miles with it starting at 68lb and did great. Didn’t have any shoulder pain or stress just some normal very mild soft tissue inflammation around the ASIS’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
starting at 68 lbs is serious stuff. I'm assuming you were going into an area without water and you had to carry all your own? I crossed the Guadalupe Mts. range 2x in 4 days about 10 years ago. My starting pack weight was almost 60 lbs. because I was carrying water for two people for two days at a time, plus all my overweight gear that has since been replaced with lighter gear. LOL

I think your point above about the torso length is a good one. I'm 6'4" (closer to 6'5") and I opted for the tall because my torso length is over 21" (I have long legs and a short torso). To me, the tall still isn't all that tall compared to some of the external frame packs I've had in the past. My workout pack is an old Kelty external frame that I load up with weights, and it's about the same height as a F1 tall mainframe. I was happy to find that I could still duck under branches reasonably well with the tall. That was my biggest concern.

shinyboat

FNG
I finally have my F1 mainframe modded how I want it. (aka, how Eberlestock SHOULD build them. LOL :D)

I cut and hinged the load shelf and found a clever way to support it using the existing straps and a short length of carbon arrow that fits through the Molle lazer cut holes. Now I can lay back against my pack when I need to, but still deploy the load shelf when it's needed.

Then I added two batwings.

Then I added a lid. To do this, I cut and moved a buckle from the lid to the top of the frame. I also used a couple plastic clips I had laying around to attach the Molle webbing under the lid to the two string loops that were already at the top of the frame. Finally, I cut and re-attached the buckles from the lid to the batwings so I can cinch the lid down. The whole lid is easily removed in just a few seconds if I don't want it.

So here is the pack going from full "hike in camp" mode (33 lbs. loaded, with 2L of water in the bladder inside the lid), then I drop the camp (bag, tent, pillow and pad are in the dry bag), pull the lid (2 days food, extra items and 2L water inside the lid), and put the batwings into day pack mode (15 lbs. total with everything I need for a day hunt).

This thing is night and day better than my Dragonfly for hauling in camp.

The great thing about adding the lid is I can leave all my food in the lid and string it up in a tree away from camp if I'm in bear country. I can also stuff things under the lid like my hunting jacket, sitting pad, etc. and the two straps will secure them.

Only thing I plan to add is a lightweight pouch for my hydration bladder in case I don't want to carry the whole lid in day pack mode. But most likely the lid will stay put. It's just too handy to have there for storage and to cover and cinch things down.

Hope that helps someone who is considering an F1 frame. I think this is a brilliant system and the Eberlestock waist belt and shoulder straps are still the most comfortable of any I've ever used.
thats a great mod!

OP
Newtosavage
thats a great mod!
Thanks. After two seasons I'm still very happy with it.

I looked at their new lightweight bags that will zip in to the F1 but I like the batwing concept better for times when I may need to haul meat. However for just a backpacking trip (no hunting) it does look like a good option, and then I'd only need one pack and could keep all my camping gear in that bag.

I like your mods. I think I may try the lid on mine attached this way. I like the shelf as it is, it acts like a kickstand so I can sit down and have a back rest without a tree! Haha

OP
Newtosavage
I like your mods. I think I may try the lid on mine attached this way. I like the shelf as it is, it acts like a kickstand so I can sit down and have a back rest without a tree! Haha

That's funny. I hinged that shelf specifically so I could lean back against my pack. The fixed shelf drove me nuts. :D To each their own right!? The lid is a super easy addition. You'll like it.

slimcubby

FNG
Bringing back to life this thread. Would it be possible to fit a lid on a regular F1 mainframe or is this setup only capable with the tall?

djdesanto

FNG
Late to the game here but just picked up an F1 and looking at options to customize it further. Digging this setup, nice work!

Also late, but would love to know how that hinged mod held up! I'm not sure if I'm up for cutting and drilling into the F1, with the potential for weakening the joint - I might go with adding the hinge to a straight-frame instead?