Eberlestock F1 (tall) mainframe build-out

OP
Newtosavage
Can you show more pictures or a diagram of how your load shelf is supported and attached to the frame. Great build.
I am not sure I can take better pics than what I posted already. But if you can be more specific about what isn't clear to you, I can try. I have a little time today to do that.

After cutting and (slightly) bending the arms of the load shelf and ends of the frame tubing (just enough for the shelf arms to fit inside the frame tubing), I capped all four tubes with some old caps I've been keeping around from some other pack frames. Then I lined everything up and drilled holes through the tubing, and attached both sides with a 1/4"x 2?" bolt and nut with the nylon in it so it wouldn't come loose. Because I cut the tubing right in the middle of the bend, the load shelf folds almost perfectly flat.

I used the sling on the load shelf to support it by simply reversing the direction the sling straps went around the end of the shelf from down to up. The straps already had loops sewn in, so it was real simple to support the straps with the length of carbon arrow slid through the molle webbing slots on the frame sheet. A little electrical tape wrapped around the ends of the section of carbon arrow keeps everything in place real nice, and keeps the carbon arrow from poking holes in my batwings.

There might be a more secure way to support the load shelf. I'm sure there is, if I sewed on some buckles further up on the frame or something, but I didn't feel it was necessary. The supports I have now handled that 50# of meat and head just fine, especially when everything was strapped in with the three large horizontal straps.

But again, if there is something specifically that isn't clear, just let me know and I'll try to get some more pics up.

b1c2r3r4

FNG
That explanation and then looking at the pictures again made since to me. Thank you I really like what you did with the frame.

OP
Newtosavage
That explanation and then looking at the pictures again made since to me. Thank you I really like what you did with the frame.
Thanks. It really has worked out well. I was thinking of contacting Eberelestock and seeing if they had any interest in the redesign. Probably not, but IMO they should offer a pack like this. It wouldn't require them to do much.

Thanks. It really has worked out well. I was thinking of contacting Eberelestock and seeing if they had any interest in the redesign. Probably not, but IMO they should offer a pack like this. It wouldn't require them to do much.

Agreed. Another redesign I'd like to see, is to have loops on the back inside the zippers so that the laser-cut Utility Panel can be utilized underneath dual batwings. That way when packing out meat, the horizontal straps aren't the main load bearing straps as that could put alot of compression on the cargo of the batwings.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I added a second set of straps to mine this morning. Took the aluminum stays out of a Dragonfly, cut them down and slid them through the laser cuts. Then took the straps off the other pack and will sew them together and presto, a second set of straps inside the zippers. I can’t wait for my sewing machine to show up!5408BE70-58D1-4A3A-B38E-BA16D509C937.jpeg

OP
Newtosavage
Nice work. Yea, those lazer-cut holes are gonna make it easy to adapt a lot of things to the F1 frame. Any hardware store will have aluminum flat stock for cheap that will slide right through that sheet and let you attach all kinds of things to it.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Nice work. Yea, those lazer-cut holes are gonna make it easy to adapt a lot of things to the F1 frame. Any hardware store will have aluminum flat stock for cheap that will slide right through that sheet and let you attach all kinds of things to it.
The stays from the DF are hollow and about half the weight. I bought that pack dirt cheap just to butcher.

Elkhntr08

WKR
This is what I did. Working on attaching the lid now so it removable, adjustable and will work with the scabbard.E933491B-514C-4936-A238-F068EC72949F.jpeg

This is awesome. I’m debating on getting a Tall Mainframe but think it might be too tall for my 18” torso. Either way looking forward to modding my one. You did a great job.

Elkhntr08

WKR
The F1 has adjustable shoulder harness, so you should be able to make it fit.
stick with the tall so you have functional load lifters.

OP
Newtosavage
Yes, stick with the tall.

I just spent 2 weeks in VERY tough conditions in Colorado, and all I can say is I LOVE MY PACK.

I did spend some time on day 2 moving the buckles that hold down the lid to make them easier to get to. I moved them to the tabs that the middle load straps buckle into. That was very helpful. I almost put them there initially. Not sure why I didn't to be honest.

But damn this pack is nice! First time I've left the mountains not wanting to change a single item. That's a great (and new!) feeling.

Attachments

• IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 44

WKR
The F1 has adjustable shoulder harness, so you should be able to make it fit.
stick with the tall so you have functional load lifters.
That's the only thing I dislike about my older f1, otherwise I run really similar to you, even have the same bladder pouch like yours and a lid. I really like that drop shelf.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WKR
Yes, stick with the tall.

I just spent 2 weeks in VERY tough conditions in Colorado, and all I can say is I LOVE MY PACK.

I did spend some time on day 2 moving the buckles that hold down the lid to make them easier to get to. I moved them to the tabs that the middle load straps buckle into. That was very helpful. I almost put them there initially. Not sure why I didn't to be honest.

But damn this pack is nice! First time I've left the mountains not wanting to change a single item. That's a great (and new!) feeling.
Nice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Has the mainframe got funtional load lifters? That was what I wished my dragonfly had!

Everyone keeps saying go with tall but I wonder how many of those guys are wearing their pack correctly. With the regular or tall they have the same amount of ladder rungs. The functionality of the load lifters is more only functional or has maxed its functionality if you are on the bottom 4 straps of the harness ladder. So if your normally on the top latter rungs with the regular a tall will do you a lot of good but if you’re 6’ like I am with a 18-19” torso the regular has the hip belt perfectly sitting half way over my IC’s with the harness on the last 4 rungs. If I got a tall version it would either leave me with the belt too low or the harness too high. If they made the tall with more ladder rungs then I would have gotten it because for someone like me that’s the only way a tall version would be more functional. Just backpacked 28 miles with it starting at 68lb and did great. Didn’t have any shoulder pain or stress just some normal very mild soft tissue inflammation around the ASIS’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk