Eberlestock J34 Add on for more capacity

TODDY

FNG
Hi,
I want to increase my J34 pack capacity this fall for my upcoming back country hunts. It looks like I have two options from Eberlestock: they have a zip on spike duffle and they have a zip on dry bag. Has anyone used either and maybe has some insite they can share?
I am leaning towards the large dry bag and can roll the top for any unused space. Thanks in advance! TODDY

BBob

WKR
I had a couple of the Just One packs and used the spike duffel on occasion. It works but adding the duffel hanging off the back will hunch you forward even more. I never found those packs to be very nimble to start with and adding the weight on the back made it worse esspecially in technical terrain. Can't get away from that really with that pack design if you want to expand it with one of the zip on options.

bsnedeker

WKR
I agree with Bob...I think you will be MUCH happier if you simply buy a pack with more capacity rather than strapping a bunch of stuff to an already heavy pack (7lbs 8oz per Eberlestock).

If I were in your shoes (and I was...my first pack was an Eberlestock Skycrane II) I would sell the Eberlestock and buy a 7000ci pack from one of the Big Guys (Kifaru, SG, Exo, SO). I've used a 7000+ci pack for years and have been happy with it for both day hunting and extended trips.

ElkAB1212

FNG
Just to piggyback on what is already being said; I owned an eberlestock dragonfly and used the spike duffel...primarily for packing my packraft around. Eberlestock packs are heavy and the spike duffel attachment design doesn’t really carry all that well. I sold my Eberlestock and bought an SG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with these responses. I used that Eberlestock for 3-4 years and stepping up is a huge improvement when adding weight.

OP
T

TODDY

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone! Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing but was hoping for a silver lining ...
How does that saying go? Cry once.... lol!!
TODDY

ElkAB1212

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone! Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing but was hoping for a silver lining ...
How does that saying go? Cry once.... lol!!
TODDY

Buy once cry once or as my mom likes to say, only the rich can afford to buy cheap!

Not that eberlestock is cheap but the sentiment is there

I use the dry bag and it is huge. Almost too big, but like you said, it can be rolled down. I also loads somewhat awkwardly being as its a top load only. the bottom portion without a zipper is wider than the upper section when its zipped on, so it is also shaped weird when stuffed full. I do like the security of it being waterproofed. Its not that heavy either. Overall, I like it and will continue to use it when Im expecting wet conditions. I plan on getting a new vapor series bag in 5k or 7k to use when i don’t expect it to be super wet. Only reason is so I have the zipper to front load it and organize it better/access things easier. Im not sure if that will fit on your frame, but if so I would look into that.

Edit: Im using this bag on an F1 mainframe. The dry bag is directly on the frame on my setup. I looked up your pack and i dont think I would like to have any other bags lashed to the back of the main bag. I feel that would throw off the balance with the weight farther away from the frame. Just my .2