Eberlestock M1 Carrier Frame?

zuren

FNG
I'm interested in knowing if anyone has experience with the Eberlestock M1 Carrier Frame, and how you like it?

I hunt whitetail in the Midwest so I'm not usually having to pack out meat, but I do pack in pop-up blinds, climbing stands, chair, chainsaw, etc. I currently use a 28L (1750 cu. in.) frameless "assault" day pack. The day pack works okay for my morning and evening hunts, but lack of a frame is an issue for the few times that I want to carry some weight (trail maintenance, shooting lane maintenance, packing blinds or stand in/out, etc.). I was using an old ALICE pack frame system for these heavier hauling tasks, but didn't love it.

I like the organization in my day pack; a number of pockets with internal organization everywhere to keep small items from swimming in the bottom of the pack. My first thought was to see if I could beef up my existing pack by adding a framesheet and a more robust hip belt. However, a decent belt and frame sheet would be about $100, and I'm not 100% certain that these additions would make me happy. $100 gets me a decent way to a different pack or frame system designed for what I want to do.

I've considered something like a MR Pop-Up 28, but it lacks the organization I have in my current pack for a $300 price tag.

Now I'm look at the Eberlestock F1 and M1 frames. I like the idea of being modular. I have a bunch of MOLLE pouches, so I could just put pouches on that MOLLE panel, or add my existing pack, or buy an Eberlestock pack later...seems like I have a lot of options. Since this frame system will mostly get "day pack" type use, I am leaning toward the M1. From what I can tell, the difference between the F1 and M1 is the load shelf on the F1?

But I am hoping to hear from M1 owners. Anything you like, don't like, etc.?

Thanks!

I have the tall mainframe. If you are over 5’9” I would recommend the tall. The only difference between the F1 and M1 is the load shelf, which I think makes it easier to haul things. Also the older main frames has standard molle while the carrier frame and newer mainframes use the laser cut molle. I think it’s a pretty versatile system and would work well for what you are trying to do.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have the tall version of the F1 and I’m very happy with it so far.
What part of Illinois are you in? You’re more than welcome to swing by and give mine a workout.

I have been using the F1 for a little over a year. I like the versatility of being able to customize the different pack configurations on the frame. Great customer service from Eberlestock too.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
The f1 is pretty well suited for hauling odd shaped/bulky loads. I added the batwing pouches for some more storage, and as a day pack for your use it may be a good option. Mine ended up getting used a lot for rucks and hauling fence materials for work. It’ll take a beating-very durable pack/frame.
I will say that I found loads >60lbs to be absolutely miserable (not impossible, but the load lifters might as well not exist and the waist belt leaves some to be desired for me).

The tall frame made the load lifters work for me ( I’m 6-2) I also bought the bigger hip belt and heavy padded shoulder harness. Made a huge difference in fit and function over my other Eberlestock packs when hauling a lot of weight.

Bluesky

FNG
The tall frame made the load lifters work for me ( I’m 6-2) I also bought the bigger hip belt and heavy padded shoulder harness. Made a huge difference in fit and function over my other Eberlestock packs when hauling a lot of weight.
I'm also 6'2. I ordered the tall F1. With the waist belt where it rides comfortably, I had to adjust the shoulder straps to the lowest setting and there was still a gap between the strap and my shoulder. Was this the same for you? I will be getting the larger hip belt so that it wraps around the front better. Did you measure your torso length to decide on the tall frame?

Sent from my SM-T295 using Tapatalk

I had the regular and it was too short like most of the Eberlestock fit me. And my torso is 21”, I have the shoulder harness about in the middle

OP
Z

zuren

FNG
Thanks for the replies so far! I was finally able to sell my mil-surplus pack, so now I can spend time researching a replacement again.

I was looking at the F1 vs. M1 frames again and seems that the M1 is 1 size and may create the same problem I had with my modified ALICE frame; the frame is shorter so load lifters don't really work. I'm 6'2" with a 19-20" torso so I'm guessing that if I want load lifter straps on the shoulder harness to really work, I should be looking at the TALL F1 frame.

Thanks!

Last edited: