EBERLESTOCK M5 team elk pack

I was looking at the eberlestock M5 team elk pack, on their website. It's a neat looking pack looks like it might be a decent 3-4 day pack. I liked the idea of the tubular frame. The load lifter looks funky kinda pulls off center. My question is has anybody got their hands on one of these? Does the load lifters actually function? How is the organization of the pack? Is their enought room for a 3-4 day hunt if your an ultralighter? Thoughts on the tubular frame?how would you rate this as far as comfort?

dotman

WKR
If your an ultraliter I would say spend another $150 and drop 4lbs off the pack by getting a ku3700, cheapest $ to lb you could do. The M5 is almost 7lbs.

That said we should receive ours for the KC RMEF banquet in a few weeks so I can check it out.

OP
G
Okay, I guess I'm misunderstood. Yeah I can come in at well under 40 pounds for a 7 day hunt. One area I don't feel like scrimping weight is my pack. I've tried em all. Had 3 kifaru packs including the KU series, just thought the
Style frame and size were attractive. I haven't seen the new bikini series but as of yet i havent seen a lightweight pack that can haul a 100 pounds of boned out meat worth a darn. Thought this pack looked interesting with the tubular frame and I like the size. For myself if you give me 5000 cui I will find a way to fill it up but with 3000 I really am conservative to fit a weeks gear and food.just wondering if anyone has layed there hands on one yet.

Okay, I guess I'm misunderstood. Yeah I can come in at well under 40 pounds for a 7 day hunt. One area I don't feel like scrimping weight is my pack. I've tried em all. Had 3 kifaru packs including the KU series, just thought the
Style frame and size were attractive. I haven't seen the new bikini series but as of yet i havent seen a lightweight pack that can haul a 100 pounds of boned out meat worth a darn. Thought this pack looked interesting with the tubular frame and I like the size. For myself if you give me 5000 cui I will find a way to fill it up but with 3000 I really am conservative to fit a weeks gear and food.just wondering if anyone has layed there hands on one yet.

I'm willing to bet this Eberlestock will not haul 100 lbs of boned out meat worth a darn because of no functional load lifters. I know my kifaru can haul 175 in comfort because of functional load lifters. I don't understand why the budget pack companies don't just put them on their packs. They would sell many more if they actually had functional load lifters.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm willing to bet this Eberlestock will not haul 100 lbs of boned out meat worth a darn because of no functional load lifters. I know my kifaru can haul 175 in comfort because of functional load lifters. I don't understand why the budget pack companies don't just put them on their packs. They would sell many more if they actually had functional load lifters.

Amen

sk1

WKR
I'm sure if you man up it will haul what you can handle....might just not be as comfortable. I watched my buddy carry a boned out hind elk quarter and bone in front shoulder strapped to his eberlestock x2 just fine. I'm sure it was around 100lbs or a little over. He carried it just under 3 miles without issue. I love kifaru but other packs have a place in this world believe it or not....even if it means someone has an extra $150 in their pocket to spend on other gear or their family needs.

I'm sure if you man up it will haul what you can handle....might just not be as comfortable. I watched my buddy carry a boned out hind elk quarter and bone in front shoulder strapped to his eberlestock x2 just fine. I'm sure it was around 100lbs or a little over. He carried it just under 3 miles without issue. I love kifaru but other packs have a place in this world believe it or not....even if it means someone has an extra $150 in their pocket to spend on other gear or their family needs.

That's all fine and dandy. If people want to save money they are more than welcome to. If we really want to talk about man up we might as well all use rigid external frames. If you want a budget pack with functional load lifters get the horn hunter full curl. That thing can carry 150 easy with the frame and still provides lift. I have a pic of me carrying my brothers gf in the frame on archerytalk somewhere. Only downside is that its heavy in the 8-9 lb range and its only 5000 ci. And itll be cheaper than the eberlestock team elk pack.

sk1

WKR
all im saying is it will carry 100lbs just fine, its up to the user to see if they can carry it worth a darn as you say :)

i love me some kifaru but dont for the life of me understand how this thread about a new eberlestock pack turned into this

as to the original post, at first glance im a little disappointed by the design, was really hoping eberlestock changed something up for a new pack.... it appears to me to essentially be a bigger x2. i would imagine they function just like an x2 as well, perfectly comfortable until around 35 to 45lbs or so depending on the user, they also use a tubular frame on the x2 and i think it works very well.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have carried a lot of heavy loads in a blue widow and X2 packs. It will carry these loads very easy. However if it had functional load lifter it would rule the mid level packs! They will not fail you, they just are not as comfortable as they could be!

hunting1

WKR
"I have carried a lot of heavy loads in a blue widow and X2 packs. It will carry these loads very easy. However if it had functional load lifter it would rule the mid level packs! They will not fail you, they just are not as comfortable as they could be!"

I like their design, features, etc but with any weight they suck! Just because something works, doesn't mean it works best. My favorite elk pack is the Horn Hunter Ful Curl even over my Kifaru's, so there are options and each person is built different just like with boots, they have to fit you.

I do wish they would make a 6-lb J104 with functional lifters, I would buy another one!

tstowater

WKR
I picked one of these up at an elk banquet last night. Put it on the scale this morning: 6lb 12oz. I'm not a pack expert, but I don't think I would come close to putting 100 lbs in it. I bought it right, so it was worth a try and will be giving it to my 14 year old. Should be a good pack for him. Load lifters? Might not be where you guys want it to be. The pack seems to be built well and he should get a lot of use out of it.

I haven't gotten to see one up close, but my boss checked them out at the ATA. From what he saw, it was a little bigger than the X2, but with better layout and access to the main compartment. I'm not as caught up in pack weight as I'm currently a Blue Widow guy.