Eberlestock

millsms

FNG
I have the Dragonfly pack for the last few years. Good pack for normal hunts but was not impressed with Load hauling. It killed my shoulders no matter what setting i had it on. I also have used Badlands 2200 as well. I like their packs for lighter things under 50 lbs due to that but i do like how they carry a gun.

I am on my second Eberlestock pack and have been using them for the last 4 years. I started with an X1 and used it when I am hunting off of a boat or wheeler. I recently stepped up to a J107 "Just one" pack to do basically the same thing but add the ability to use it as my "alpine bear assault pack" for quick spot and stalk dashes up the mountain. I sure wouldn't use it for a sheep hunt or try and haul out moose or elk quarters but it will work great just to get a black bear down off the hill.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I have a J107 and its pretty good at 50 lbs 75 is doable but not very comfy and the way the pack is built I would be confident it could handle well over 100 lbs but I wouldn't want to have it strapped to me. They are well built but lack heavy load comfort. That said I have a J107 in MO Brush I would sell if the price was right.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a blue widow and I love it! I'm pretty short 5' 7" so that may be whyI like it so much? I have the pack real high so the load lifters are a couple inches above my shoulders. I've had over 75lbs in it and it wasn't bad noticeable but live able. 50 or under is no problem at all I can actually loosen up the shoulder harness and it just rides on my hips.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a J104 for years. The pack is super durable. It will hold anything you can strap on it. I think it is at its best as a daypack that converts to let you take your first load of meat out with you, rather than a backpacking pack. As has been mentioned, though, the load lifters are not functional with heavy loads. This really puts pressure on your back and shoulders. Long, heavy, packouts can be grueling. I have a Kuiu Icon 6000, and the functional load lifters make all the difference in the world. The best feature on Eberlestock packs for riflehunters is the backscabbard. It is the best way to carry a firearm in the field I have used, although I have yet to try the Kifaru gun bearer.

They are good packs for the money. As Broken Arrow mentioned, they tend to fit shorter torsos better. I have owned a Blue Widow and X2. The Blue Widow is heavy and I didn't find it to be all that comfortable, but is well built and can handle a load well enough if you have a shorter torso. The X2 is a good little daypack for the price. It is tough and capable of hauling a heavy first load out. It won't be comfortable at all, as the frame isn't designed to lift a load for any torso length, but the pack can handle it which is impressive enough for a small day pack. For normal day hunting weights the X2 rides pretty well.

If a Kifaru or Mystery Ranch is just not in your budget and you have a torso length of around 18" or smaller, Eberlestock is a decent option.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I think the newer battleship and destroyer packs look interesting although heavy seem well built and I would give em a whirl

OP
wk93

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Well I am shorter at 5 foot 9. They seem a better value for the money compared to Sitka. Plus the options for them almost seem endless.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am shorter at 5 foot 9. They seem a better value for the money compared to Sitka. Plus the options for them almost seem endless.

They have great accessories available, and I would personally look at them before Sitka packs.

Lukem

WKR
I have had a J104 for years. The pack is super durable. It will hold anything you can strap on it. I think it is at its best as a daypack that converts to let you take your first load of meat out with you, rather than a backpacking pack. As has been mentioned, though, the load lifters are not functional with heavy loads. This really puts pressure on your back and shoulders. Long, heavy, packouts can be grueling. I have a Kuiu Icon 6000, and the functional load lifters make all the difference in the world. The best feature on Eberlestock packs for riflehunters is the backscabbard. It is the best way to carry a firearm in the field I have used, although I have yet to try the Kifaru gun bearer.
I'd echo this. I have a gs05 gunslinger, and it is a great daypack, and is capable of carrying out a load, but I wouldn't count on it for multiple long loads. My only other complaint is that there aren't many pockets for organizing gear. I really like the low and narrow profile of the pack on my back, if you can duck it with your shoulders, the pack generally doesn't get hung up. Eberle makes good, durable packs, especially for the money. There are better packs out there, but I like mine for what it is.

cmeier117

WKR
I have used the blue widow and hate that suspension system. I used the Destroyer last year and would recommend it or the battleship pack? They are more of a mountaineering style pack. Taller with functional load lifters and better suspension system. It would be the only pack out of their line up I would recommend. Carried 70 lbs excellent IMHO and I have had over 100 in the pack before. I have a T2 now and it feels really close in comfort with 60-70lbs in it. After that the T2 shines but nothing else compares to it. I would get one of those if you need a budget pack around $300

Jager

WKR
Which one?

Its called the Warhammer, styled around the military ALICE pack and they use the old ALICE frame, not sure why they arn't using the new flexi frame, but anyway, I think i'll be getting one

looks to be a good setup.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If your comparing eberlestock to sitka, I would go with eberlestock every time. I have used eberlestock for over 6 years and have logged a ton of miles with a j104 and bluewidow. I am 5'8" tall and the load lifters were non existent for me. The one thing that you know your getting with the ES is it's dam tough. I can't say that about the sitka packs I have used! That being said it no where near as comfortable as a kifaru, but at half the price there still a great option.

bbrown

WKR
I have an X2 and love it - I do have a shorter torso though. I have hauled out a couple deer with mine and it works albiet not the most comfortable but not bad at all. I really wish they would come out with a X2.5 - adding a bit of length to the torso and a couple hundred inches to the main bag(@2800-3000) while keeping it under 5 lbs. That way I wound not "have" to order a MR Dragonslayer - oops too late. While I really like the new MR DS - I just can not bring myself to sell X2 (its been that good). On the other hand - I have guided several people with Sitka packs and personally seen several failures (and I like sitke - almost every piece of hunting clothing I own is by Sitka).

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased the J107 a few years ago and really like the design and how it expanded to pack out game, but I was disappointed in the suspension system when I carried my first load of meat out. Too much of the wieght was on my shoulders. I think the newer models have adjustabe shoulder straps/frames that would make a big difference. I use it as a day pack if I'm hunting from a spike camp or returning to my truck at the end of the day.

Eberlestrock makes great packs for the backcountry hunter. The J34, J107 and JP9 are the top three packs that we recommend for hunters that are looking to carry a lot of gear and also may need to pack an animal out. Feel free to call or pm with any questions. We would be happy to help you out.

http://www.storycreekinc.com/

Mike
Story Creek Inc

twp1224

FNG
I have the J34 and really like it. I have not tried any of the other packs (KUIU or Kifaru) simply because i cant justify the price. I carried out 30lbs of gear and half of my quartered out buck last year, thankfully I had my hunting partner to help with the other half, and the pack performed perfectly. After 7 miles I had some pain in my back and shoulders, but that was expected carrying around 60-70lbs for 7 miles. Not having to carry your rifle is a plus too.

Attachments

• 2011 (3x4).jpg
    2011 (3x4).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 70