Eberlestock?

Hi guys,
Hoping you can help me with my question on the eberlestock j107. It says on their website that it is expandable to 5425 cubic inches. But when I looked to buy it on cabelas site, the description says 4500 cubic inches. Is cabelas wrong in their discription, or is there different models of this pack? I would like to order from cabelas but want to make sure it is the 5425 cu. Thanks for your help!

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Cabela's is wrong. The 5425 is correct and with the Spike duffel it can go to 7,000+ ci.

OP
G
Ok so it's not like the one cabelas sells is just the j107 and smaller than say the j107h, or they are selling an older/smaller version?it's just they don't list it as the j107h and they have the size wrong? Thanks for your help!

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you get that pack, I HIGHLY recommend the super duffel. It works really nice just for gear storage too. Have you looked at s and s archery's website? If you don't need the pack right away, Steve has good sales every few months and you can get it cheaper there than cabelas. Plus he's really good about answering questions too.

OP
G
Overal reviews on this pack are pretty good correct? I realize it's not a kifaru but for a mid priced pack isn't it supposed to be pretty good?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It is a very good, durable pack. It doesn't carry super heavy loads as comfortably as the super high end packs, but the idea that Eberles are poor packs really isn't fair to them. I used a J104 quite comfortably for my last hunt, and it did very well.

Jimbob

WKR
I hate the design. I don't understand how they work for anyone but some people like them. The construction was excellent on mine (j104) but the design just prevented it from carrying well. From what i have read the j107 is stiffer and carries better. If you really wanted eberlestock then check out the bluewidow.

If i was doing it again I would just look for a well priced hiking pack and use it for hunting.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Eberlestock design, but would avoid zipping the Spike Duffel to the exterior of the pack. Spike duffel could push the load out a bit too far, but its only intended to be used for the first load out. The J-Series packs are amazing day packs and rifle carriers. They are good packs for shorter multi-day trips, but can lack the space for 7 to 10 trips. The J-Series packs handle loads amazingly well, depending on your torso length.

If you have a longer torso, check out the V90 Battleship or V69 Packs. They offer more room for a longer torso. If that does not cut it for your torso, go with a 26 inch frame from Kifaru.

Honestly, I don't feel a big difference between the Just One and the Dragonfly but there is a price difference. If you only bowhunt, get the Blue Widow for J-Series packs. It will haul heavier loads better than the Just One or Dragonfly. Overall, I feel Eberlestock makes the best pack for the price. The Just One and Blue Widow are about half the price of high end packs from Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, or Barney's, but performs close to or as well as them.

JoeJR

FNG
I was at Bills Pellegrino's Archery Hut tonight and looked at the Just One and the Blue Widow. I have to say that both of them are hard to pick from. I have tryed on both to see how the fit and man they are nice. I know that there are other brands out there but like everyone is saying for the price you pay, you cant beat.

If I was going to use an eberlestock I'd use the destroyer or battleship. I had a blue widow, and with a fairly long torso 20 inches or so I didn't get much lift with a heavy load. So if you have a long torso I'd look into the destroyer, or the battleship.

2ski

WKR
I tried on the Blue Widow and liked it alot. Then the salesman went and got two bags of shot(50lbs), and I didn't like it so much anymore. Just not comfortable. The straps cut in to my shoulders a bit. I really liked a lot about it. Too bad.

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
2ski,
When I first got my hands on a Just One pack, I found it uncomfortable. It took a fair amount of time to fit the pack to me, but now I love the J-Series packs. Make sure you have the hip-belt and lumbar placed in the proper position, then raise the harness until you have it running smoothly up and over your shoulders. I prefer to put it an extra notch higher and have a heavy load in the pack causing the pack to ride a bit lower. However, the torso range may not be enough for you making most Eberlestock packs uncomfortable and shoulder bearing. The V90 Battleship and V69 Destroyer are the best options for longer torso individuals if you are interested in buying an Eberlestock.

Check out Kifaru and Eberlestocks pack fitting videos. They are very informative and will help you get the best ride out of your pack. Don't just watch one though, watch them both and play around with your current pack to get a feel for what they are trying to get across to you.

Eberlestock's Pack Fitting Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KDbDXRUXFnA

Kifaru's Pack Fitting Links: http://www.kifaru.net/kifarutube.html

Last edited:
Love the pack. Hauled probably 100+ lbs 5-6 mi. Felt like my knees would go out before the pack. Use it for a day pack also. Very happy

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I tried on the Blue Widow and liked it alot. Then the salesman went and got two bags of shot(50lbs), and I didn't like it so much anymore. Just not comfortable. The straps cut in to my shoulders a bit. I really liked a lot about it. Too bad.

I'm with 2ski on the Bluewidow. The pack feels great with less than 20 pounds in it. My hands would literally go numb and veins would pop out of my arms and forearms with a real load. I was getting a headache walking around with 50 pounds in it. I actually had a bruise around my peck/armpit area from the straps digging in. I bent the aluminum stays several different ways trying to get it right. I emailed Eberlestock tech looking for help getting it right and I still haven't received a response back from them. It always fit great empty or with a small load but 50 pounds or more and I couldn't walk more than a half hour before the pack had to come off. I desperately wanted this pack to work so I bought an REI XT85 just to convince myself that it was me and not the pack. The XT85 with 55 pounds was a freaking dream. I walked 2000' up and 6 miles around a day with absolutely no problems. I will never recommend an Eberlestock Bluewidow, I can only assume the rest of the just one line is the same.

POS Bluewidow
photo1-4.jpg

Awesome XT85
photo2-3.jpg

XT85.jpg

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
WV Hunter,
Your REI Pack offers a much better lift off your shoulders for heavy loads. You lack the proper shoulder lift for a comfortable ride when packing heavy loads with the Eberlestock. I get just a little bit more lift off my shoulders with the Eberlestock packs than you do and have carried 100+ pound loads fairly comfortably. You like your REI pack, so stick with it. I love the J-Series packs, so I'm going to stick with them. I would take a Blue Widow over a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500, Badlands 4500, and Blacks Creek Remedy 7 Solution. All of those are great packs, but they just don't ride as comfortably for me.

That is why it is important to try a number of different packs before making a purchase, if you can.

Thank You for your Service WV Hunter,

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is like any number of Eberlestock threads. It has been posted over and over that these packs fit some, and don't fit others. There is no question that my Icon 6000 has a superior suspension to the J104, but the J104 can (and has for me) haul out huge loads over long distances.

I broke out the J104 recently for some really hard use, and realized that a huge key to getting it to have more effective load lifting ability is to get the hipbelt SUPER tight. I think Elberlestocks could really benefit from a belt tightening setup more like the Kifaru, where you can really crank it in. the Kuiu belt is really good in this area also.

Outdoorsman is right. Pack fit is an individual thing. It is good to have different points of view on packs, and it is good to try several different models. I think hunters looking in the Eberle price range should consider them. It just might work very well for them.

You don't hear many durability complaints with Eberlestock packs.

I have also had good experiences with REI branded packs as well.

DWarcher

WKR
The V90 Battleship and V69 Destroyer are the best options for longer torso individuals if you are interested in buying an Eberlestock.

For some reason those two packs do not get the positive publicity that they deserve. I have been running the V69 for the last two years and for me it is the best overall pack in their lineup. BTW it works very well with both long and short torsoed individuals.