Ebike Kits

Netloss

FNG
Has anyone tried to install one of the Ebike kits from Amazon? Seems pretty straight forward even though most do not include the battery.

Did a baufang? Kit 3 or 4 years ago still on rei 27.5 mtb. It is a lot of weight on the frame but it runs just fine. You will need a couple tools to get everything tightened up properly that most people will not have unless you already do a lot of work on bikes. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.

OP
N

Netloss

FNG
What batteries are you finding work well with those kits?

Driver79

FNG
I put a bafang BBSHD kit from Luna cycles on a Framed fat bike. It was pretty simple and it’ll pull the front tire off the ground in low gear.
Any details on your build? I have a Minnesota 2.0 and am looking at doing an E conversion.

Mine was a 2.0 also. What kind of details do you want to know? I’ve slept since then you know what I mean. I called Luna cycle a few times and they were fairly helpful. The biggest thing I’ve learned over the coarse of using my conversion is the stock tires on the 2.0 are terrible. I’ve prob had 8 flats on that bike. There’s a new tire liner out that I put in but it didn’t ship till after huntin season so I don’t have any use on them to give you a good review, but it has to be a major improvement. I’ll have to look to see who made those

Driver79

FNG
Mine was a 2.0 also. What kind of details do you want to know? I’ve slept since then you know what I mean. I called Luna cycle a few times and they were fairly helpful. The biggest thing I’ve learned over the coarse of using my conversion is the stock tires on the 2.0 are terrible. I’ve prob had 8 flats on that bike. There’s a new tire liner out that I put in but it didn’t ship till after huntin season so I don’t have any use on them to give you a good review, but it has to be a major improvement. I’ll have to look to see who made those
Just was curious if there were problems you ran into or if there were things you would do differently if you were to do it over. Luna has a few different options for throttles and displays, I’m not sure which route to go. Did you do steel or aluminum on the sprocket? Are you happy with the performance of the bike (other than the subpar factory rubber)?

No, no major issues. Pretty straight forward deal. I bought the cheapest display they offered with the kit. It’s obnoxiously bright at night so I had to put a cover over it. I only look at it to see my battery level. And I chose the twist throttle. I’ve never used the thumb version but saw several people say they wish they would’ve got the twist.

A major thing to watch out for is clearance to get your battery in/out if you plan on mounting it between the backbone and down tube. I got my battery from bafang and they have a link so you can print off a actual size cutout of their batteries to check fit before you order one.
The two little chickensh**t rivet bungs in the down tube for a water bottle holder won’t be strong enough to hold your battery. I have a lathe and tig welder at home so I made and welded another inside the down tube and I’m still not crazy about it. It hasn’t failed me yet, but I need to figure something else out that more sturdy.

I want to say my sprocket is aluminum but I’m not positive. I bought the lowest geared option that they offer with that kit. I loaned it out for the summer or I’d walk out and look to say for sure.

As far as performance I’m very happy with it. I hauled a whitetail out on a cart from a place that was two miles from the truck.
it was good flat ground but it was 2 in, 2 out to get the cart, 2 back in, 2 out with a buck and I never made a full crank with the pedals and still had over half my battery life.

Driver79

FNG
No, no major issues. Pretty straight forward deal. I bought the cheapest display they offered with the kit. It’s obnoxiously bright at night so I had to put a cover over it. I only look at it to see my battery level. And I chose the twist throttle. I’ve never used the thumb version but saw several people say they wish they would’ve got the twist.

A major thing to watch out for is clearance to get your battery in/out if you plan on mounting it between the backbone and down tube. I got my battery from bafang and they have a link so you can print off a actual size cutout of their batteries to check fit before you order one.
The two little chickensh**t rivet bungs in the down tube for a water bottle holder won’t be strong enough to hold your battery. I have a lathe and tig welder at home so I made and welded another inside the down tube and I’m still not crazy about it. It hasn’t failed me yet, but I need to figure something else out that more sturdy.

I want to say my sprocket is aluminum but I’m not positive. I bought the lowest geared option that they offer with that kit. I loaned it out for the summer or I’d walk out and look to say for sure.

As far as performance I’m very happy with it. I hauled a whitetail out on a cart from a place that was two miles from the truck.
it was good flat ground but it was 2 in, 2 out to get the cart, 2 back in, 2 out with a buck and I never made a full crank with the pedals and still had over half my battery life.
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.

In BC they just banned them for hunting in non-motorized zones, but if you have a front hub motor you can use it to scout and remove it for hunting season.

I'm glad to hear people are having good experiences with amazon Bafang kits. I plan on converting an old 7-speed 26" mtn bike to a mid drive ebike at some point this year. I'm a little unsure how much battery to buy, but think I will start off relatively small and possibly upgrade in the future.