Economic impact on elk applications

njdoxie

WKR
For me personally, my yearly out of state elk hunt to CO, is now in doubt, due to too much worry so that I don't care about elk hunting.

Last edited:

Usi05

WKR
All I’m hoping for besides getting drawn is fuel prices stay low. I hunt by myself so all cost are split between me, myself and I.

Book a flight as soon as you can. Dirt cheap right now and for foreseeable future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cwillimon

FNG
I put in for NM and will gain my elk and mule deer points for CO. I am planning on hunting a OTC unit in CO if NM doesn’t shake out. I to am interested in seeing how this will all play out.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Its a silver lining if there is an impact.

"How can they shut down the woods?" I've had buddies say.

Well what happens if the F&G is shut down....similar to my construction business where we have projects outside we can do but are hung up and can't work due to city inspections halted.

Sure we are outside...but what if the F&G and Game wardens aren't working?

Lets hope this doesn't happen...

______

Somewhat of a hot subject right now around here whether it is legal or not but they are handing out tickets.

Mossy

WKR
I was going to ask a similar question regarding out of state tags; whether I am going to spend the money for 2 unknown reasons:

1. Can I afford everything else involved when the time comes?

2. Will the lands be open? Here in Washington, fishing is shut down as well as DNR lands.

Maybe Idaho will be different

I would consider my elk hunting to be essential to life for several reasons. So unless they can justify closing the outdoors I’ll be hunting. That seems pretty freakin bizarre to me though. As long as I’m breathing and there are elk breathing and there are mountains why can’t we socially distance ourselves from the world up there?

My prediction for Colorado is that it won’t affect apps that much but there will be a record number of tags returned prior to the season unless this thing goes much better than I think it will

cnelk

WKR
I bet after this year, Colorado will eliminate the return tag option.

Get the tag - it’s yours. Just like Wyoming - doctor excuse exempt

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Somewhat of a hot subject right now around here whether it is legal or not but they are handing out tickets.

Ya, hand out tickets to people enjoying the outdoors far away from most everyone else, but keep letting them cram into the stores in town. That makes perfect sense. The backcountry should be the last place that would ever get shut down. How many groups are within 6 feet of each other in the backcountry? None.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, hand out tickets to people enjoying the outdoors far away from most everyone else, but keep letting them cram into the stores in town. That makes perfect sense. The backcountry should be the last place that would ever get shut down. How many groups are within 6 feet of each other in the backcountry? None.

Yeah it is a tough situation. I guess I see both sides. They are so limited in healthcare personnel and resources with many of those people serving as Search and Rescue, emergency care, and primary care. An injury in the backcountry would use a lot of resources. While most people would mitigate risk and take it a little easier then normal there are also many that will treat the backcountry like normal and take risks that are not responsible in the current situation.

Of course they could implement a use at your own risk. There may not be any rescue team to help in an emergency and you are on your own. Everyone should treat the back country this way but with PLB, inreach, etc. people are used to having a rescue team at their fingertips.

Whip

WKR
Its a silver lining if there is an impact.

"How can they shut down the woods?" I've had buddies say.

Well what happens if the F&G is shut down....similar to my construction business where we have projects outside we can do but are hung up and can't work due to city inspections halted.

Sure we are outside...but what if the F&G and Game wardens aren't working?

Lets hope this doesn't happen...

This thought had crossed my mind as well. I've been pinning all my plans on a LE WY unit tag that I should be able to draw. The catch is that it is in a unit with very limited access other than an HMA. I really don't know, but who's to say that HMA's couldn't restrict access across private ground which would leave me with no decent place to hunt.

The potential loss of many years worth of points not to mention hundreds of dollars of tag fees really has me thinking about it. New this year is the option to withdraw the application and retain my points and get a refund of the fees. I REALLY want to hunt though.

I know that in the grand scheme of things there are bigger worries right now. But it's still occupying my mind.

______

LandYacht

WKR
Yeah it is a tough situation. I guess I see both sides. They are so limited in healthcare personnel and resources with many of those people serving as Search and Rescue, emergency care, and primary care. An injury in the backcountry would use a lot of resources. While most people would mitigate risk and take it a little easier then normal there are also many that will treat the backcountry like normal and take risks that are not responsible in the current situation.

Of course they could implement a use at your own risk. There may not be any rescue team to help in an emergency and you are on your own. Everyone should treat the back country this way but with PLB, inreach, etc. people are used to having a rescue team at their fingertips.

You can’t enforce laws because you can predict something might, or even will, happen based on probability.

If that were the case lots of crimes would be prevented before they happen, but that’s not how due process, or the constitution, work. I think Stallone made a movie on this premise.

You can enforce crimes that are occurring that could impact the anticipated problem. Such as too many people at a trail head that are not social distancing. The fewer people at the trail head will result in fewer people going into the woods, thus reducing the probability for a back country rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbcarch

WKR
I am lucky to have the ability to work remotely so hopefully no change to my income or vacation.

Plan on driving out to Montanna this year (should get a tag) but i am wondering if there will a travel restriction and/or if things like gas stations in the very tiny rural areas will get affected? It’s the little things that might make it tougher

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I saw a camp full of steelhead fishermen last night, all packed in around one campfire. Your argument holds no merit. Everyone goes "camping" then crowd around each other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I saw a camp full of steelhead fishermen last night, all packed in around one campfire. Your argument holds no merit. Everyone goes "camping" then crowd around each other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not us.