Economic Question For All

def90

WKR
I run my own company in the commercial mult-ffamily residence market. It’s gang busters and I just received two more requests for proposals in the last week. Enough work for the next 4-5 years and it seems to be ramping up. People keep coming to Colorado and there aren’t enough homes so apartments it is..

Afhunter1

WKR
Poly furniture?
Hose-end sprayers. If you go to the lawn and garden section in Walmart or any other big box store, my company makes some of the sprayers you will see there. If you see a “liquid seven” pesticide that is one of our bigger customers.

We have 12 injection machines.

I own a small business in HVAC. Ppl are still spending money like crazy. We've been keeping very busy with both commercial and residential work. Gas prices and real estate prices are a hot topic among clients, that's for sure.

I'm in high-end custom homes for the 1%ers.....no change infact more work for the next 3 years is already booked.

Cost is through the roof but they still pay.......more money than brains!
They’re the ones actually doing the profiteering that’s causing the inflation, so they still come out ahead.

Own a log truck in NE Washington. So far the mills buying the logs have kept up what they’re paying for log hauling and logs to match fuel prices. But lumber markets have been dropping steadily since the fed raised interest rates. Lots and lots of trucks for sale, guys getting nervous and taking jobs with less pay but a little more stability.

CorbLand

WKR
Work part time, about 10 hours a week in a retail sporting goods store. It has most definitely slowed down, just not sure what is causing it.

Landscape design-build firm. People are still spending money and while the new construction market is still crazy, we specialize in renovation work. Margins are much better in that realm.

I'm in construction.

I've seen our pipe guys seem to have the materials they generally need. They'll have all of the PVC main line but be missing fittings for services. Framers have lumber but told me doors and windows became short again.

We definitely don't have the workload of the last few years but are still plenty busy. I tend to believe the money guys paying for these developments are beginning to pump the breaks. Aside from the economy and prices, some of the municipalities around here have put a moratorium on new water taps and I think that is as much a contributing factor to the slowing trend.

mmac

WKR
The cost of everything going up will certainly put the brakes on a lot of discretionary spending. People are already putting more on credit cards and you see retail industry feeling the impact from reduced spending already. This will continue even quicker as reality catches up with many as bills are due. Anything discretionary or large purchases that take loans will be impacted.

Will be interesting to see what happens to things where the supply chain or constraints in skilled trades have created backlogs.

ozyclint

WKR
Here in Australia our electricity and gas prices have skyrocketed. What little manufacturing we do have is taking a huge hit with the energy price surge. "It's the war in Ukraine that has caused global energy instability".
Small business is struggling for the same reason.
Interest rates going up too. With increasing interest rates and skyrocketing energy and food prices I see our reserve bank having a really hard time reigning in rampant inflation using the standard practice of raising interest rates without causing a recession.
All household income will be hoovered up on mortgage and living expenses with nothing left over to drive the economy.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Banking/finance here - ag related but very industry specific (animal housing to simplify it) but have customers all over US. Seeing some projects get put on hold even with higher commodity prices - these projects cash flow - today - but may not at 10 year average prices. Steel, labor, concrete, all impacting projects as cost continue to come in higher than expected. Still seeing stuff get done but more and more consolidation as older families retire. Fed move will definitely impact what gets done.

hypnolope

FNG
Work in IT consulting - a lot more interest in cameras / security systems.

Theft has been on a rise in the area - although cameras don't always work, a good system can at least alert/make noise if tuned right. In some cases waking someone up to call the cops is about all you can do.

Sad times.

I am a consulting mining engineer. I focus primarily on small to medium gold operations for the most part. Specialties in design, costing, exploration and permitting.

I find an increasing demand no matter how high I raise my prices. As I get older my desire is to limit my work load. It's tough to just say no.