Economy Packs

Semorbux

FNG
Spent last Deer season using a Badlands Reactor pack with an old Navy seabag rolled up and attached incase I got a buck ( I know, pretty ghetto but the best I could do) and I just want something better suited to hauling game out if I punch my tag.

Money is tight so I'm looking to spend less than 300 preferably around $200 if possible. I'm looking for something that's hydration compatible, with a meat shelf. From what I've seen, my best options are probably a Full Curl G2 lite combo, a Spika Dover, or an ALPS OutdoorZ Extreme Commander X Frame and just attach my Badlands for this season.

Do any of you guys have any experience with any of these options or maybe something else I haven't thought of?

My typical hunt will be between 1-6 miles total with very minimal gear. I usually just pack a headlamp, backup flashlight, batteries, water bladder, phone, sweatshirt, mini binoculars, lighter, toilet paper, plastic shovel, Gerber folding saw, tiny Allen pop up camo netting with collapsible sticks, snacks, 2 knives, game bags, gloves, head netting, light emergency poncho, zip ties, pen, ammo, license and keys. I'd like to pack a tiny collapsible chair, and maybe a pop up blind or larger camo netting but it's a bit much with the reactor. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh and by the way, I'm 5'11, 240# if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
OP
S

Semorbux

FNG
I should probably mention I'd like to keep it 40l max, preferably smaller. I mostly still hunt in heavy growth, think CA river bottoms, a large pack will get me busted but that one would be nice in the mountains for a couple day trip.

Last edited:

bobinmi

WKR
For around 300 you could pick up a decent (ie; kifaru, stone glacier)frame used. Jerry rig an attachment system for your reactor and and have some real load hauling capabilities and you're halfway to an "expedition" style pack when you're ready.

Rich M

WKR
I'm your size, actually about 30 pounds heavier and in my 50s.

Have a Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL pack and its nice.

Decided I don't go far enough to justify a full size pack all the time and sure don't want to wear one around here (FL), so got a lumbar pack. Absolutely love it.

OP
S

Semorbux

FNG
I'm your size, actually about 30 pounds heavier and in my 50s.

Have a Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL pack and its nice.

Decided I don't go far enough to justify a full size pack all the time and sure don't want to wear one around here (FL), so got a lumbar pack. Absolutely love it.
That was exactly my thought. I don't mind having the option to go bigger but if I do, I'll only spend a weekend at most in the mountains all season so a smaller one like a MR 18 or 28 fits my style of hunting alot better. Just can't justify 350 atm.

I'll be heading up to Reno this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to try a few on at Cabela's while I'm up there.

Forgot to mention that one actually. I've seen this pack mentioned alot and it should have been on the list, ty.
They are nice day hunting packs. I wouldn't want to do serious meat hauling with one but the guy who taught me how to elk hunt packs out his first load (usually around 100#) with one almost every year. I wouldn't want any part of that but he's harder than woodpecker lips and I've never heard a word of complaint about it during a pack out.

OP
S

Semorbux

FNG
Well after hitting every Sportsman's Warehouse, Scheels, And Bass Pro between Chico, Sacramento and Reno I ended up ordering a Full Curl Hybrid Frame.
It hits all the marks I need on a pack atm. It has a hydration pouch, has a meat carrier, enough pockets to fit everything that's currently in my Badlands pack and I can buy a larger bag to throw on it if I decide I wanna spend a couple days packing into the woods. Hopefully it works out for me.
I really wanted to get an Emberlestock X2 like traveler suggested but that thing is way too small for me. I got to try one in Chico and my torso is just too large. I couldn't see myself being comfortable in it with my current gear and no way could I pack a deer with it. Thanks for the tips guys, they were appreciated.

OP
S

Semorbux

FNG
Ty Zap, I strongly considered that but ended up ordering a Horn Hunter Full Curl frame.

Mods can close this if they want. It's ran it's course.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a mil surplus pack, alice, ilbe or similar......check ebay. All made in USA and heavy duty.
+1 for this. I have hauled some soul crushing loads with Alice packs in my youth.

if you can do without the meat shelf (you can) then look at a FILBE or ILBE for about $50. Throw in a mystery ranch NICE frame and you have a hell of a hauler for $200 or less. Mystery ranch was also supply a pack called a SATL that can be had cheap on eBay and other places that is outstanding.

another angle is a mystery ranch crew cab or mule. Both are just a daypack / load shelf / frame combo. Newer ones can be found on sale. Used are pretty cheap. I have a crew cab on a nice frame that is my dedicated heavy hauler and training pack.

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Spent last Deer season using a Badlands Reactor pack with an old Navy seabag rolled up and attached incase I got a buck ( I know, pretty ghetto but the best I could do) and I just want something better suited to hauling game out if I punch my tag.

Money is tight so I'm looking to spend less than 300 preferably around $200 if possible. I'm looking for something that's hydration compatible, with a meat shelf. From what I've seen, my best options are probably a Full Curl G2 lite combo, a Spika Dover, or an ALPS OutdoorZ Extreme Commander X Frame and just attach my Badlands for this season.

Do any of you guys have any experience with any of these options or maybe something else I haven't thought of?

My typical hunt will be between 1-6 miles total with very minimal gear. I usually just pack a headlamp, backup flashlight, batteries, water bladder, phone, sweatshirt, mini binoculars, lighter, toilet paper, plastic shovel, Gerber folding saw, tiny Allen pop up camo netting with collapsible sticks, snacks, 2 knives, game bags, gloves, head netting, light emergency poncho, zip ties, pen, ammo, license and keys. I'd like to pack a tiny collapsible chair, and maybe a pop up blind or larger camo netting but it's a bit much with the reactor. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh and by the way, I'm 5'11, 240# if that makes a difference.
I would suggest ebay and getting a used Mystery Ranch. You can get a mid 2010-2011 model with the nice frame for around 200.00. Good luck. I would rather have a good quality used one than an economy new one.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
FFB5FF5B-7726-4BB4-BF16-39E02F8F89B2.jpeg

ive got a couple old mountain smith packs about 6000 ci or so (frostfire I think?). Just weighed one, 4.2# on my fish scale. This photo is 130# in the pack, loaned it to my buddy on a mule deer hunt. I’ve seen them used for pretty cheap. They collapse down pretty darn small and light. 26” aluminum stays.

this is a pre-kifaru kifaru.

OP
S

Semorbux

FNG
Ended up sending the Full Curl back. Didnt fit me well but would be great for a smaller guy, I'm 250

Got an MR pop up 28 on order now. Just missed a sale on Bob Wards this morning, they have them on sale for $260 but mines already shipped and I'll have it in 2 days instead of a week so no worries. Heard good things about that pack so hopefully it's a better fit for me. Got the XL.