ED50 w/ MCII 13-40 vs. ?

After using my ED50 with the 27x eyepiece the last 10 days in Colorado for deer and elk, I have a desire for more magnification. We had a couple glassing spots that were 1.5-2 miles out, and we struggled to tell if some of the satellites (which were our realistic targets) were legal or not. Not counting inches, but I do need to be able to count points at those distances. Similar issue for deer.

My friend had a cheap Vortex (Diamondback or Viper). You could tell the light and FOV view loss was great at the higher magnification, but I was able to count points with it that I couldn’t with the ED50.

So, I’m thinking either get the 13-40 eyepiece or sell it and either buy a Athlon Ares or Hawk Endurance from Camera Land in 15-45. Thoughts? Any better options for similar $$$.

Shraggs

WKR
I have both zooms and a fixed 20 for the ed50. I carry both, cause I may need more magnification. As an eye glass wearer the zoom stink. But without glasses and decent light they are great imo.

Ha maybe trade, 13-30 for fixed 27!

OP
G
I have both zooms and a fixed 20 for the ed50. I carry both, cause I may need more magnification. As an eye glass wearer the zoom stink. But without glasses and decent light they are great imo.

Ha maybe trade, 13-30 for fixed 27!
13-40 is bad with glasses? I wear glasses 90% of the time so that would factor in my decision.

Shraggs

WKR
Eye relief is 12 mm I believe. My prescription needs 16 so I take my glasses off. Only way works for me. Still worth having tho.

The Nikon field scopes were really great products compared to alpha - except for the zoom eye pieces. Short eye relief and narrow fov.

OP
G
Hmm…I’m blind as a bat without glasses. Like my contacts prescription is -8 to -8.5 so I don’t like having to take my glasses off. If I dropped them, I literally couldn’t see them on the ground.

Shraggs

WKR
Fwiw, I always have my hunting glasses on a light wire croaky so they just hang. Never ever take them off and set down in the field.

I think you may be asking too much from a compact spotter. 65mm or bigger for that kind of distance..top end zoom will not help you much with that small of an objective. Have used the ed50 with MCII and even the cheap 60mm kowa is a significant step up. With a smaller exit pupil you are also limiting resolution at higher power.

OP
G
I think you may be asking too much from a compact spotter. 65mm or bigger for that kind of distance..top end zoom will not help you much with that small of an objective. Have used the ed50 with MCII and even the cheap 60mm kowa is a significant step up. With a smaller exit pupil you are also limiting resolution at higher power.
Ya. I kind of suspect that is the case, and the reality is, I’m almost never going to pack a spotter in except for maybe some day hunts so the weight penalty from some of the other options isn’t a big factor. 98% use will be from a vehicle or short walk.