EDC Knife Choice - Want Edge retention and sharpness

trailguru

FNG
What's a good EDC with good blade retention? Here is what i'm looking for when I wanna go hiking'

1. Fairly lightweight since I will keep it in my pocket (<3.5oz)
2. Longer blade ideally (>3.25")
3. Quality Steel

I know there are steels out there like S95V from Benchmade that are called super steels but they are very hard to sharpen but supposedly retain edge well. Is there any other EDC out there I should be looking at? I hate Spyderco designs in general by the way. Never liked their para designs

WA209

FNG
Don’t over think the “hard to sharpen.”

A diamond stone, or the cheapest belt sander going can put a edge on any steel.

Zbot

WKR
My EDC is a Microtech UTX-85. I’ve been through a deer and an elk with solid edge retention plus daily tasks as needed.

Of course, check your states regulations on autos.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t over think the “hard to sharpen.”

A diamond stone, or the cheapest belt sander going can put a edge on any steel.
After 50 years of sharpening (trying) with stones and guides , lansky's, diamond sticks, carbide stuff etc. I finally got a worksharp belt sharpener. I can now get shaving sharp on all my pocket and kitchen knives. Even a caveman can do it!

letrbuck

WKR
bugouts are super popular, for good reason. They're great knives

My EDC for a while has been a Kershaw Dividend M390. I think the M390 blade was discontinued and the 400 series version is absolute junk. Great knife in the M390 edition, but it certainly has made me look out for other M390 blades. I feel like it holds and edge and takes to touch ups better than my S35VN blades

montei

FNG
. The blade is a little shorter than you’re looking for but the spyderco para 3 lightweight is my favorite edc currently. Hasn’t really left my pocket for probably 2 years.

kpbrown31

FNG
After 50 years of sharpening (trying) with stones and guides , lansky's, diamond sticks, carbide stuff etc. I finally got a worksharp belt sharpener. I can now get shaving sharp on all my pocket and kitchen knives. Even a caveman can do it!
Agreed. Bought the Worksharp Ken Onion edition belt sander and have been very impressed at how easy it is to get razor sharp knives.

To the OP's point, I'll be buying a mini bugout for my next EDC

j_2112

FNG
+1 here for bugout.

I know you mentioned not a fan of Spyderco but comparing the paramilitary 2 vs bugout in hand, the pm2 is just rock solid. I do feel I might cut myself easier with bugout.

Pm2 is the way to go if you use gloves, easy to get the blade out.

Good luck!

tdot

WKR
I love my Bugout, it's been in my pocket for 5 years straight and I've never held on to a single knife for so long. It isn't perfect for everything, but it doesn't have any glaring faults either.

Despite the love for the Bugout, I don't carry it into the woods. I prefer to carry a fixed blade for hunting and hiking. S35VN is a relatively high performance steel that is common enough that you'll have a bunch of blades to choose from. I've been enjoying the Argali Carbon and the Kestrel Ovis Hunter, but I'm still looking for a knife that fits this role better. I'm waiting to receive the Montana Knife Co Speedgoat in Magnacut that I ordered. I have high hopes that this is the knife/steel combo that satisfies my wants/needs.