3.25” blade ✅
3 ounces ✅
CPM S35VN ✅
Made in USA ✅

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Bugout checked all the boxes I wanted- durable, lightweight (1.8 oz), good steel (S30V) and made in the USA

what really put me over the edge was the availability of orange scales :D

8yfJ2v5.jpg

the Bugout checked all the boxes I wanted- durable, lightweight (1.8 oz), good steel (S30V) and made in the USA

what really put me over the edge was the availability of orange scales :D

8yfJ2v5.jpg
That would be a great pocket knife for the woods. Easy to find and very lightweight.

I have also had great luck with my microtechs holding good edge. Some steels better than others, but none have been bad. Some fantastic.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to Helle, my EDC is a Dokka it it's a little bigger than your specs. A Helle Klettan would fit your specs nicely.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
I have had m390, S30V, m4, s90v, s35vn, magnacut, cruwear, a2, 1095 etc. I find the S30V the easiest to resharpen and holds an edge longer than any other steel I’d consider fairly easy to sharpen. I’m not saying S30V is the best steel, I just prefer working with it over the others. I’d go with a Bugout with g10 or titanium/aluminum scales. I actually like carrying the mini Bugout as much as the reg size Bugout, but the blade length is on the short side of your preferences.

The newest version of the Hogue Deka is basically their version of the Bugout in 20cv.
Really nice knife. Hogues factory edges blow benchmades away, are made in the USA and have g10 scales.

Another option is the Hogue Sig k320. I nearly sold a pair of them and am glad I hung on to them. They come in around 4 oz with a 3.5” blade and are tanks, S30V and made in the USA. Very comfortable compared to a Bugout if you are doing a lot of cutting. They carry in the pocket well, with a nice deep carry clip
You have good taste sir!
I second the recommendation for S30V; excellent edge retention and still able to be touched up for maintenance if required. Corrosion isn’t an issue either with my S30V Benchmade’s.

Bump79

WKR
I have had m390, S30V, m4, s90v, s35vn, magnacut, cruwear, a2, 1095 etc. I find the S30V the easiest to resharpen and holds an edge longer than any other steel I’d consider fairly easy to sharpen. I’m not saying S30V is the best steel, I just prefer working with it over the others. I’d go with a Bugout with g10 or titanium/aluminum scales. I actually like carrying the mini Bugout as much as the reg size Bugout, but the blade length is on the short side of your preferences.

The newest version of the Hogue Deka is basically their version of the Bugout in 20cv.
Really nice knife. Hogues factory edges blow benchmades away, are made in the USA and have g10 scales.

Another option is the Hogue Sig k320. I nearly sold a pair of them and am glad I hung on to them. They come in around 4 oz with a 3.5” blade and are tanks, S30V and made in the USA. Very comfortable compared to a Bugout if you are doing a lot of cutting. They carry in the pocket well, with a nice deep carry clip
What are your thoughts on the Hogue with magnacut?

Ozzy841

Lil-Rokslider
I carried a Benchmade Bugout (S30v) for a while and was very happy with it. I've since gone to a small fixed blade Bradford Guardian 3 with M390 blade steel for EDC. Not quite as convenient to carry as a folder but not bad and completely worth the tradeoff to me. Stronger than a folder and way easier to clean. I use it for everything and am not afraid to break down an animal with it so it is more multi purpose. More bang for your buck with the fixed blade too, you pay for the blade steel not the folding mechanism and all the moving parts.

VernAK

WKR
Several have mentioned the inexpensive belt sander for sharpening and I gotta agree. I quickly sharpen my knives as well as friends with an inexpensive Delta Shopmaster 1" belt sander. I use the finest grit and wear it down with a piece of heavy steel before sharpening knives. One pass on each side and whetting on a large ceramic stick and I'm ready to go. There's other brands of belt sander that are cheaper and will do the same work.

I love my Bugout, it's been in my pocket for 5 years straight and I've never held on to a single knife for so long. It isn't perfect for everything, but it doesn't have any glaring faults either.

Despite the love for the Bugout, I don't carry it into the woods. I prefer to carry a fixed blade for hunting and hiking. S35VN is a relatively high performance steel that is common enough that you'll have a bunch of blades to choose from. I've been enjoying the Argali Carbon and the Kestrel Ovis Hunter, but I'm still looking for a knife that fits this role better. I'm waiting to receive the Montana Knife Co Speedgoat in Magnacut that I ordered. I have high hopes that this is the knife/steel combo that satisfies my wants/needs.
How are you liking your speedgoat, and the Magnacut? I am wanting that knife for probably the same reasons. I hope that they do the super cub in magnacut at some point.

tdot

WKR
How are you liking your speedgoat, and the Magnacut? I am wanting that knife for probably the same reasons. I hope that they do the super cub in magnacut at some point.
The Supercub in Magnacut drops tonight!

I'm loving the Speedgoat so far. It showed up wicked sharp, by far the sharpest I've received a knife. Used it to butcher an elk front quarter that's been hanging for 3 weeks and it's still exceptionally sharp, and that included scraping off the blade steak.

RMM

WKR
Love the bugout as well. I've been eyeing the grizzly ridge from benchmade too but haven't been able to handle one yet. Anyone have any experience with one?

68Plexi

WKR
Looking at Benchmade myself. Anyone carry or have experience with the North Fork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
I would also consider the Benchmade Freek in M4. Sick knife with same aspects as the north fork:

Awesome. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out. Always appreciate the gear lab guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
This is the knife I have had my eye on for a while, Bark River Adventurer II. Hard to resist in CruWear. Would appreciate any feedback, if anyone has one out there:

Cruwear is outstanding, it would be one of my top choices.

mholman

FNG
I will throw in the Civivi knives like the Elementum in the original flipper or the button lock design. They use D2 or similar steel that in my experience is easy to sharpen but holds a good edge and I am using a knife daily and so far have been very pleased. Not nearly as expensive as Benchmade (although a 940 is close to perfection for an EDC knife).