Editing Software?

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to get more into photography and photo editing. I purchased an Olympus E-M5 II awhile back and have been trying to get out of auto mode recently. I would like to be able to do some editing and correct some of my imperfect shots as well. What is a good editing software program?

Thanks,

Clayton

Lightroom from Adobe is what 99% of photographers use. You can do some light editing in Olympus' software to try out first.

idcuda

WKR
If you get pics onto your phone, Snapseed is great for playing with settings. You can also try gimp on a PC - it's free. It's very powerful and has a learning curve, but there are tons of videos on YouTube for it. Otherwise, I agree with the Lightroom comment.

wyodan

WKR
I have the same camera, I use the Olympus editing program but understand that Lightroom is supposed to be better. It is past my skill level. Also, for just playing around, it is easy to transfer your photos to a smart device with the Olympus app, and you can edit and share pretty easy from there.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
Are you shooting in RAW? If not, the power of Lightroom, Capture One, etc. will be largely wasted on JPGs. Shooting on Auto on the camera doesn't really negate post processing of RAW files or not, though if you are happy with the colors and exposure of the JPGs straight out of camera then I'd say keep doing what you're doing. What aren't you happy about with your current photos? Some things are a byproduct of sensor and lens combinations vs. post processing and no software will be able to really help depending on what it is. As mentioned above, depending on what kind of corrections you are looking to do there may be free, simple options for software, but if you are looking at doing heavy editing of RAW files with masking, presets, lens corrections, etc. then something like Lightroom or Capture One will be what you are looking for.

From my experience adobe is being very restricted at the moment with their subscription policy that IMO is only really attractive to professionals. If you're only working on personal stuff and don't need to whole adobe suite (most don't) id seriously consider affinity photo. its a one time payment and works just as well as photoshop

Wapiti1

WKR
DXO Photolab 5 is my preference if I am paying for software. They do some things better than Adobe, and I find the subscription service annoying.

Since you are an Oly shooter, I would suggest OM Workspace for most uses. It has a decent workflow and will do all of the basic corrections. It's free and does a good job.

Jeremy