EE Enigma Apex Lifespan

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve got a 20 degree Apex Enigma with ~40 nights on it over the last 18 months. Early on I had it into the high 20s and was relatively warm, but was getting chilled in the mid 50s this weekend. Always stored in the bag EE includes, never keep it compressed more than 24 hours. The insulation appears to be evenly distributed to my eyes. Should a good wash restore some loft, or am I already nearing the end of this thing’s lifespan? I just need to stretch it through the end of the year, planning to move to a Katabatic down quilt next spring.

*Post edited for spelling and grammar

Last edited:
Hmmm. I have an EE concert in apex. Makes me wonder. I would think aLex would be good for years if not a decade before it would degrade that badly. In addition to asking here I would shoot EE a note.

I have definitely had loss of warm and loft from bags that were dirty and a was seems to have helped. Not sure about apex, but I think I recall something about a low hear fluff in a dryer too.

rei post below has some tips.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I know it is a silly question, but I have grabbed the wrong pad before. Did you have an appropriate R value pad under you or a proper underquilt (if hammock camping?)

I am curious as I am about to pull the trigger on an apex quilt from EE soon.

I hear they should last 10 to 15 years for synthetic and longer if down (assuming both are cared for properly.)

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
I know it is a silly question, but I have grabbed the wrong pad before. Did you have an appropriate R value pad under you or a proper underquilt (if hammock camping?)

I am curious as I am about to pull the trigger on an apex quilt from EE soon.

I hear they should last 10 to 15 years for synthetic and longer if down (assuming both are cared for properly.)
Good R-value pad for those temps, but not a silly question. My understanding is synthetic insulation suffers from being compressed/stuffed in a sack more significantly than down. I can’t say that accounts for my issue, and actually seriously doubt that it does, but frequent packing and use would affect the lifespan. I also see frequent reports of EE ratings being true to limit, not comfort. Still, with a 20 degree quilt I should be totally fine to somewhere in the 30s. I’m pretty well convinced at this point that this quilt just needs a wash and a session in the dryer with a few tennis balls.

For what it’s worth, if I had it to again I’d have gotten a down quilt. And if I got an EE quilt again, it would be rated for at least 10 degrees lower than expected temps.