Effect of Wind on Fixed Blade BH?

BigTrout

FNG
Question for you guys that the search bar hasn’t quite addressed: how much will wind affect fixed blade broadhead flight? Specifically, a 15 MPH direct crosswind at 40 yds? This afternoon I had a chance to screw on my first BHs to see if my setup is tuned to hit with field points. I’m 29” DL, shooting Victory RIP TKOs at 495g TAW, 15.5% FOC, and a three vane right helical AAE Max stealth at 70lbs. BH is 125g IW solid. Shot about 5 groups with the BH and field tips together before the range closed. The lone BH arrow would consistently hit about 6 inches downwind of field points. I also swapped the BH out to a different arrow halfway through to rule out a rogue arrow.

Of course, I’d love to be able to shoot on a windless day, but they’ve been tough to come by lately. Do you guys think I can chalk the different up to the wind, or a tuning issue? Most of the shots felt and looked good coming off the bow this afternoon. Purpose of the question is to gather info on wind effect on fixed blades vs field tips, not so much speculation on what might be off with my setup. Thanks!

jmez

WKR
Tuning. 15 mph wind won't have much effect on your broadheads.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Those broadheads are pretty small, your vanes have 3x more surface area to catch wind then the Iron Will. I definitely think it's a tuning issue, unless your arrows were going off target to the downwind side, just that broadhead was a little more. Broadheads are going to catch more wind than a field point for certain. They will get carried in the wind, however I think it will take more than a 15 mph wind at 40 yards to see it. 60 yards would be more likely to see it carried off, but I think it would be more like 4" @ 60 yards in a 15 mph wind. Generally I have more trouble holding the bow steady in the wind than the arrow being carried in it.

OP
B

BigTrout

FNG
Thanks fellas. What might be a reasonable expectation of excess wind drift in those conditions?

With a 15mph wind my bow wobbles around a bunch more than normal and I get kinda punchy. That may be part of your issue also. You can always put your phone on slo-mo mode behind you and watch it happen. Drift is easy to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk