Effective, cheap blunts

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
20210630_142335.jpg

Just thought I'd share a pic of my homemade blunts. 38 special brass on a field point. They seem to work about as good as any blunt or small game head I've ever tried as far as keeping arrows from skipping, at a fraction of the price. Just as long as you have 38 brass laying around, lol. A guy could always try 9mm or something too and see if it works, 38 just happens to fit the field point that I have very nicely, with a little hot melt to secure it. Not my idea btw, I stole it from Howard Hills book Hunting the Hard Way. Also, the brass I have weighs about 75 grains so thats something to keep in mind when your buying points. Weigh the brass you have and buy field points accordingly

aOWENc

FNG
Very cool! I tried a washer behind the field tip and it wolloped a ground hog but he made it back under my shed to die. I will have to give this a try.

oldgoat

WKR
Those aren't going to keep your arrows from slithering their way into the grass or under the leaves, if you are going to do homemade they need to be more like bkspyders! I'll stick with the VPA SGH's or Converta Forge I think they are called from 3rivers, you need something that catches onto stuff!

OP
Big_wals

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Those aren't going to keep your arrows from slithering their way into the grass or under the leaves, if you are going to do homemade they need to be more like bkspyders! I'll stick with the VPA SGH's or Converta Forge I think they are called from 3rivers, you need something that catches onto stuff!
Agreed, personally not a problem for me tho as I live in some high desert and thick vegetation is a rarity! I might try some of those tho, never seen that idea before

oldgoat

WKR
Agreed, personally not a problem for me tho as I live in some high desert and thick vegetation is a rarity! I might try some of those tho, never seen that idea before
Yeah, that's the kind of country I grew up in, didn't even use blunts and don't think I ever lost an arrow, even shooting at flying quail, but I've lost them here in Colorado with stuff like Hex heads. Guess if people are a lot better shot than me and don't miss, it doesn't matter.

Wrench

WKR
You could stick a new primer in those casings and have a real good time on arrow impact.
As a youth someone drilled out an insert to be able to slide a primer into it. Someone sharpened the base of the threaded section on the field point to strike the primer, held it in place with some silicone. This ignited the 2219 filled with fffg.

Only shot one of those and it scared the crap out of me.

As a youth someone drilled out an insert to be able to slide a primer into it. Someone sharpened the base of the threaded section on the field point to strike the primer, held it in place with some silicone. This ignited the 2219 filled with fffg.

Only shot one of those and it scared the crap out of me.
Was that guy’s name Ted Nugent?

MtnMuley

WKR
I've bought 125 grain field points and ground off 25 grains flat for blunts shooting archery golf at fire hose pins. Worked excellent. By time you ground them down, they'd be right at that transition from where the cylinder tapered down.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
If you go to a hobby store you can get the spring wire they use for balsa wood airplanes to make your own judos also. We've also added old Bear bleeder blades to make very effective rabbit heads.
D1C3EB1F-573D-4472-9549-7BDFA811D7CB.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
I drill two 1/8" holes at 90 degree angles to each other through a field point and then hammer in roll pins. You can get them in various lengths. You can leave the field point pointy or grid it flat. They take abuse well and don't like to bury up.