Effective rangefinder

UtahJimmy

WKR
I have been using a Vortex Ranger 1500 for many years. It's always met my needs as I'm mostly an archery hunter. This past week I helped 2 of my buddies kill some elk on private property so the animals were in flat fields and I had a hell of a time getting a range on them. I've always had trouble ranging with this RF beyond 5/600 yards, but these animals were inside of that. I've NEVER been able to get a range over 1200 on this unit when hitting large reflective objects. They claim 750 yards, but it's definitely not true. I'm also getting more proficient with my rifle so extended distances could be in the future for me so I want to invest in a better RF.

I've been thinking the Leupold RX-2800, the Sig BDX2400, or the Leica CRF 2800 would be a major step up for me. They claim that they can range deer "up to" 1800 yards, 1400 yards, and ???? respectively. Any other units I should consider?

For those of you that use any of these, do you agree with these claims? Can you consistently hit a deer/elk at 1000 yards?

If you can see it you can range it with the Leica 2800. i ranged out to 2700 something in Idaho. Only time Ive had issues ranging has been in the fog, and then the smoke this summer.

EmperorMA

WKR
If you can see it you can range it with the Leica 2800. i ranged out to 2700 something in Idaho. Only time Ive had issues ranging has been in the fog, and then the smoke this summer.
Those aren’t “issues ranging.” Those are visibility issues.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I am borrowing an old Leica 1200. I have only used it a few times, and cannot speak to the ranging capabilities.

However, the glass is incredible. My Leupold is nowhere next as clear or bright.
I’m sold on Leica range finders.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I got a better sense of the ranging capabilities of the Leica 1200 yesterday. I was getting consistent reads near the advertised limit. This is an improvement over my Leupold, which is good for about half to two- thirds the advertised limit.

If the 1200, which is probably 10 years old, is this good, I’m sure the 2800.com is impressive.

skierhs

WKR
The rule of thumb I’ve always seen is take the max distance advertised and cut that in half for landmark/large objects. Those advertised distances are using reflective targets, almost as if it was using a mirror. I used the Leica 2400 Friday to range elk at 1300 yards without issue. The brighter the light of the day the worse your rangefinder will perform. Buy one that’s really over kill and you’ll never regret it. You’ll start using it to plan stalls to landmarks and more as I did this weekend.

Crusader

WKR
Just seconding RussGS, I have a 10-year old set of Leica 1000. They were when I got them and still are, fantastic. Great glass, reliable, never a hint of an issue with them. I've ranged cows at 1,100 yards with them, deer at 800. Plenty adequate for my needs. Side note, I think I paid $429 for them from CameraLand way back then and you can now get the newer/current models with a lot more features for not all that much more cash. So great value for the money.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
What's the difference between the .COM and the -R? Is it that the .COM has bluetooth capabilities to connect to a Kestrel/phone? Is it worth the upgrade?