Effords base camp hunt

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I have this hunt booked with Effords for September of 2020 along with my dad and brother. I've been super excited for this hunt since we started talking about it mainly because the time spent with my dad and brother. Today my dad told us that he was going to call Effords and try and get him to put his deposit towards my brother and my hunt because he has a bad back and didn't think he could do it. Needless to say I was very bummed about this news. My question is for those of you that have done this hunt how physically demanding is it? I already told dad that I would be happy to carry his gear and pack his meat if we are successful, but he still wasn't convinced. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I will be hunting with Effords this year. I had originally booked a lodge hunt but after talking to a ton of people I switched to the fly in. The feeling I got from talking to everyone was that it was it was mostly road hunting. As far as physicality with a lodge hunt I don't think that will be an issue at all.

Speedbump

FNG
The guides will take care of your moose once its down, so not much effort required there. This is where they earn their tips. The hunter is usually not involved in dressing his moose except as a spectator. The hunter is likely responsible for any processing after it is quartered such as deboning.
The hunt itself can be demanding, depending on how the camp sets it up. Many of the camps, such as you describe, do a lot of hiking early and late in the day, combined with road hunting. You are competing with the fortunate locals that drew a tag, and other outfitters as the entire country is "public land". September hunts usually see some warmer days, and they shut the moose down, so early and late are the time to be out. A frost at night is good. May or may not be to early for calling to be effective.
Bob Effords is somewhat controversial, so you should direct questions to him, particularly if there are physical limitations to be considered. He runs a lot of different camps. A good outfitter can dial down, or dial up, the difficulty of most hunts. Hunting out of a stand is not unheard of, and most outfitters maintain some in active areas.
You are somewhat at the mercy of the guide you end up hunting with. They have a pretty good ideal where the moose are.
Newfoundland is a fine country to visit, I've always enjoyed my time there.