Eggs!

What's the best way to transport eggs into the bush for a week for frying? Freeze, crack a bunch into a nalgene and pour out some each day, take chickens, plastic carriers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
Best I've seen is scramble them, stick them in a bottle but that was with a cooler not sure how long they'd stay good unchilled or frozen

gbflyer

WKR
There's a way to drop them in hot water for the correct interval for backpacking. I understand it keeps them from spoiling and toughens them up. You might find something with a google search.

Roy68

WKR
My wife has informed me that you can freeze raw eggs (out of the shell) and then thaw them for later use. If you can keep them frozen then that may work for you.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can't think of any good way, and wouldn't want the extra weight anyway. That means I would also have to pack a pan as well, and then clean it. So I'd go without eggs for a week.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Ova Easy Eggs. They are real egg crystals. They are awesome. I have an omelette of some variety every morning made in a ziplock in my jetboil; and I use the water I cooked the eggs in for my coffee. Very efficient and tasty.

Tod osier

WKR
Eggs in a shell don't require refrigeration. If you're car camping just bring the carton. If you're trying to pack them in a pack, I wouldn't bother.

Yes no refrig for the number of days he is talking. For me if I was going to the trouble to cook eggs and clean up after, I would want them fried and with toast. I'd sub out eggs in any form with fried fish, myself.

Last edited:
Truth spoken here:

Ova Easy Eggs. They are real egg crystals. They are awesome. I have an omelette of some variety every morning made in a ziplock in my jetboil; and I use the water I cooked the eggs in for my coffee. Very efficient and tasty.

Steve gave me the line on these over a year ago and I take them on every trip. My wife thinks they scramble up better than real eggs. I have not used them as a recipe ingredient but have 100% certainty they would be perfect. My only tongue-in-cheek complaint is that I can't actually sit down to a plate of these done 'over easy'.

Akicita

WKR
On long trips I am a Mountain House and MRE guy but I do like me some bacon and over-easy fried eggs whenever it's practical to bring them.

In my experience eggs can be kept for up to two months at temperatures below 55 F without doing anything to them. On over-nighters or short trips I pack my eggs in a Coghlan's plastic egg holder. It holds six eggs and I usually will wrap them in a piece of clothing before stuffing them in my pack for extra shock resistance .

In temps warmer than 55 F I put a light coat of vegetable or peanut oil on them. That will preserve fresh eggs for several weeks in warm weather.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Thanks fellas. I have access to fresh eggs. Flat country with game cart and cooler. I'll take em Coughlans holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Depending on how long your gonna be camping, and if you haved cooler or cold temps, I have just cracked open a bunch of them in a quart jar for canning and put the lid on it and taken it camping/hunting. Probably not feasible for backcountry etc. Unless you have cooler temps and font mind the extra weight of a quart of eggs

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR

I grabbed some of these and tried them at home the other day. How exactly do you prepare them at camp? I guess I'm confused when you mention using the water you used to make the eggs to make your coffee.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Mix the eggs with water in a zip loc freezer bag.

Fill JetBoil with water and heat. As water gets hot, stick the freezer bag with egg mixture in the coming up to boil water and fold eggs like you were making scrambled eggs in a pan—in the bag.

As long as you don’t melt the bag on the bottom of the JetBoil (I have not one time yet), when your eggs inside the ziplock are done, the water you cooked them in is clean and ready to make coffee with.