EHD Outbreak.

Pro953

WKR
Any updates on the EHD outbreak in Nebraska and the Dakotas? Now that folks have had some time in the field, how is it looking?

I assume most of the areas have had a freeze now.

Are we talking zombie apocalypse, or is it not as bad as it sounded at first.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDChungus

FNG
I have some friends that hunt the Chamberlain, SD area and I think they saw a decent amount of deer from what I gathered. North part of the state where im from numbers seem reasonable. I think it hit the northwest part of the state pretty hard from the graphs that I saw (west river). I'll know more this weekend and update with east river opener.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to have wiped out every deer in the Dakotas and eastern Wyoming. I would highly recommend anyone planning a hunt in those states to hunt another state instead. Don't even bother applying in 22.

Tmac

WKR
Where I hunt in SE MT we are close to the Dakotas and WY. The Whitetail were about 5% of normal and the MD about 1/3 of normal. Been hunting the same ground for 8 years, worst population levels in that time were this year. Nearly every buck was young, only one mature MD we could find. Was brutal there and will likely be few mature bucks for several years. Other friends closer to Miles City and Rosebud did not have the same issues.

Werty

WKR
Miles city , Baker, Broadus, in Montana has been hit hard from a few people Ive talked too.

WCB

WKR
Spots in ND estimated (by locals that actually pay attention) 80-90% die off. Other areas like the one I hunt ZERO effect no outbreak. Obvious pockets in Western 1/2 of Dakotas hit hard but also have reports of an outbreak in North East ND with one hunting party seeing a couple dozen dead deer while pheasant hunting in only a couple days.

As far as how large those pockets are I don't know.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Just hunted Nebraska rifle on the SE edge of the Nebraska Sandhills in whitetail country. Deer numbers were down compared to the past, but the weather has been funky this year hot-cold-hot-cold. NE G&P asked and we obliged them taking lymph nodes to test. Results should be in a few days.

Jimss

WKR
A friend that guides in South Central Nebraska said both muleys and whitetails in his area have been hammered hard. Where there were literally hundreds there are only a handful.

Legend

WKR
Whitetail ate getting hit pretty hard in Northeast Montana. Buddy walked a couple miles of a stream last week and found 11 dead.

stuckey_t

FNG
Went hunting in northeastern Wyoming for deer this year and it was really bad. In the area we hunt in and around Hulett Wyoming the deer herd appeared to be wiped out by 80-90%. Corpses were littered all over the place and few if any bucks to be found. It will be tough with a hard winter knocking out the rest of the deer possibly. Gonna take a good handful of years to get it back to even a reasonable population again. So sad.