EL 8.5X42 first generation vs monarch hg

basalpin

FNG
Hello guys i live in france, i have the old model el 8.5X42 buying in 2009 ( year of release 1999). i like this binocular is perfect for my using.
but i would like 10x (32 or 42) binocular with the same quality optic not more not less ( without the price of alpha) just less weight and lot of eye relief (my wife wears glasses) will be perfect for me.
you think i can find with the 2020 binocular conception ? i think buy monarch hg 10x42 ? thanks a lot. sorry for my english.

I have a pair of HG coming this week. I used the el 10x42 for years. I’ll let you know my thoughts when they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned the same EL 8.5 model as you have, and I also own the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42.

They are both very good, be sure to keep the Swaro. the 8.5 X size is very good all around.

I think you have made good choices.

OP
B

basalpin

FNG
Merci, oui bien sûr je garderai mes 8,5 el. Je veux utiliser le nouveau 10X pour la montagne mais je veux être sûr que le verre sera équivalent (j'ai lu ici des gars qui ont acheté 12X et 15X de qualité moyenne, et qui ont vu le jeu à distance mieux avec leur 10x42 slc et autre )
J'attends les retours de switchbckxt.
Merci

Wapack

FNG
I would enjoy seeing your reply in English, maybe you can offer a translated version.
"Thank you, yes of course I will keep my 8.5 el. I want to use the new 10X for the mountain but I want to be sure that the glass will be equivalent (I have read here from guys who bought 12X and 15X of medium quality, and who saw the game from a distance better with their 10x42 slc and other )
I am awaiting feedback from switchbckxt.
Thank you"

Last edited:
Thank you, yes of course I will keep my 8.5 el. I want to use the new 10X for the mountain but I want to be sure that the glass will be equivalent (I have read here from guys who bought 12X and 15X of medium quality, and who saw the game from a distance better with their 10x42 slc and other )
I am awaiting feedback from switchbckxt.
Thank you

Binos arrived I’ll let you know what I think I’m the next couple days

Hello guys i live in france, i have the old model el 8.5X42 buying in 2009 ( year of release 1999). i like this binocular is perfect for my using.
but i would like 10x (32 or 42) binocular with the same quality optic not more not less ( without the price of alpha) just less weight and lot of eye relief (my wife wears glasses) will be perfect for me.
you think i can find with the 2020 binocular conception ? i think buy monarch hg 10x42 ? thanks a lot. sorry for my english.

Apologies for the delayed response, I’ve been slammed the last couple weeks. I have finally spent some time behind the HG and I really like them. I am pleased with the quality, especially given the price. The field of view is not as flat or quite as sharp as the el but close enough that I think they would make a great addition to your 8.5. I question whether the 1.5x increase in magnification will provide any tangible advantage over your current optic but that is really up to you to decide. The glass is great and the eye relief seems to be very comfortable compared to others I have used so I think they will work great for your wife with eyeglasses. So, given the price, the quality of the optic, the flat field, the large FOV, and the weight/ergonomics of the HG I think they are definitely a great buy.

One thing I was unaware of that is noteworthy. The barrels of the binos are not completely armored in rubber, the inner face of each barrel is unarmored, which is a big deal to me for cold weather use bc that is where my hands rest and it will definitely draw heat out of fingers/hand if not wearing a glove. I have included a pic bellow highlighting the are I’m speaking of

Good luck with your decision

b8aed4c56f38690bfbecc5645ea90aea.jpg

For a time I owned both EL 10x42 (2017 construction) and Monarch HG 10x42. I had to try very hard to notice any difference so I sold the EL’s to pocket the money.

I think the Monarch HG’s are one of the best coordinated packages out there. Their glass is close enough to very best that at the 8 or 10 power the differences are very difficult to find, well made, with one of the lightest weights in their class too.

I have a new pair of monarch HGs and comparing them to old ELs I preferred my HGs. I’m not saying they were better glass, they were definitely very close in my quick look however the ELs have a color hue to them and the HGs do not. I prefer the HGs for that reason.

The HG glass is really nice. I’ve compared it with Swarovski SLC and it holds up very well to comparison. Sharp and extremely low CA. I don’t think you’ll notice any drawbacks to going with an HG and saving some money. I love my HG 8x30.

OP
B

basalpin

FNG
Apologies for the delayed response, I’ve been slammed the last couple weeks. I have finally spent some time behind the HG and I really like them. I am pleased with the quality, especially given the price. The field of view is not as flat or quite as sharp as the el but close enough that I think they would make a great addition to your 8.5. I question whether the 1.5x increase in magnification will provide any tangible advantage over your current optic but that is really up to you to decide. The glass is great and the eye relief seems to be very comfortable compared to others I have used so I think they will work great for your wife with eyeglasses. So, given the price, the quality of the optic, the flat field, the large FOV, and the weight/ergonomics of the HG I think they are definitely a great buy.

One thing I was unaware of that is noteworthy. The barrels of the binos are not completely armored in rubber, the inner face of each barrel is unarmored, which is a big deal to me for cold weather use bc that is where my hands rest and it will definitely draw heat out of fingers/hand if not wearing a glove. I have included a pic bellow highlighting the are I’m speaking of

Good luck with your decision

b8aed4c56f38690bfbecc5645ea90aea.jpg

Thanks for your answer, i like what you say .
When i read you and the other comments, i can say the hg is almost an alpha glass of 20 years ago. for the half price. it's what i wanted to know .
thank you everyone for you help i appreciate very much. and i can buy the monarch HG for the next hunting seasons.