El Coyote Quilt and Therma-Rest Xlite

wtx

FNG
Mid November NM hunt coming up (30deg lows according to extended forecast?) and about to pull trigger on an El Coyote 20deg quilt paired with the XLite pad.

First time pack hunting so I have no comparisons. I know there are thicker/more comfy pads at a cost of weight. Xlite seems to be a good combination of weight to R-value, pretty light, and packs small.

Talk me out of this combo or give me a thumbs up please, tired of waffling back and forth.

Northpark

WKR
No experience with that pad but I have an el coyote 10 degree quilt paired with a exped down mat that I would take on any hunt. As long as your pad has a r rating over 4 or 5 you’re probably good to go. Only if their trick with quilts is making sure your quilt and pad are wide/long enough to keep out drafts.

Reactions: wtx
OP
W

wtx

FNG
@Northpark thanks for that info. Settled on whatever pad I get to be 4+ Rvalue. Thinking about the 10deg too, not much difference in being to warm being a quilt I can just open it up. Definitely don’t want to be cold. Big difference between 10deg and 20deg? Don’t worry about and just throw some extra layers on?

BBob

WKR
I’d stick with the 20° and maybe get the XTherm instead. That’s 2.5+ more R value for 3oz and still packs really small. I use 30° bags in colder conditions than that with an Xtherm and wear clothing I already have with me to boost warmth if needed. I’m not a cold sleeper so take that into account.

Seeknelk

WKR
I'd definitely get the xtherm instead . I use a quilt and just saying, don't skimp on pad warmth. Worth the few oz...a bag definitely does help insulate under you , I don't care what the quilt hype says. And I love the quilt...the freedom, ease of venting, getting in and out...but they NEED a warm pad.

OP
W

wtx

FNG
I'd definitely get the xtherm instead . I use a quilt and just saying, don't skimp on pad warmth. Worth the few oz...a bag definitely does help insulate under you , I don't care what the quilt hype says. And I love the quilt...the freedom, ease of venting, getting in and out...but they NEED a warm pad.
Thanks for the input man I appreciate it.