ELD-X & ELD-M

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
What is the real hunting difference between a lighter ELD-X and a slightly heavier ELD-M bullet at say 400 -500 yards on heavier game like elk? Specifically, my 6.5 CM & PRC will both shoot Hornady factory 143 gr ELD-X & 147 gr ELD-M sub-MOA. I like the idea of greater BC despite slightly slower velocity of the heavier ELD-M.

Totoro

WKR
Great question, no real definite answer IMO.

If the animal in question, elk, is perfectly broadside within the give range; I hardly doubt it will notice.

Further out, gotta look at projected impact velocity. The ELDX is around 1800fps IIRC so use that as reference point. The ELDM will expand at a little lower velocity but may not hold as well together on off angle shots.

In my 300PRC, I have killed 9 animals with both the factory loaded 212 ELDX and 225 ELDM from 120m to 891m in the last 2 seasons. Two animals (both mule deer) required a follow up shot each due to my error. One using the ELDX and the other ELDM. Two elk, one cow and one spike both on cull hunts were bang/flop using the ELDM; around 380m.

So my sample base is pretty small and not using the same bullet or weight.

There's a few threads here some while back on ELDX/ELDM performance that are informational reads.

Wrench

WKR
My sample of one 208m from a 300wsm into a bull at 600yds ended in an offside mushroom

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
All of the elk, WT & mule deer that I have ever shot with OTM load have been 125 - 350 yards. No follow up shot or tracking was ever needed. I could not see the difference in penetration -all reached the vitals destination- compared to my usual ELD-X. I just have no point of reference for longer distance performance.

What is the real hunting difference between a lighter ELD-X and a slightly heavier ELD-M bullet at say 400 -500 yards on heavier game like elk? Specifically, my 6.5 CM & PRC will both shoot Hornady factory 143 gr ELD-X & 147 gr ELD-M sub-MOA. I like the idea of greater BC despite slightly slower velocity of the heavier ELD-M.
I used the 147eldm on several elk and a few whitetail, they're really prone to grenading inside 400 yards

B23

WKR
I shot a moose with a 7mm 180EldM last year at under 50 yards. It went in and jello'd his lungs, no exit. This was from a 7SAUM going 2850fps.
I shoot the 180 Bergers in my 7mm Blaser but the BC of those 180 ELD-M's is very impressive and if they work well on game they could be worth giving a try. I've got to find some first though.

For your stated distances, it should not matter much. The following does not take into account your rifle's specifics nor environmentals:
* The 6.5 CM will hit 1800 fps at 725 yards with the 143 gr ELD-X and about 800 yards with the 147 gr ELD-M.
* The 6.5 PRC will hit 1800 fps around 900 yards with the 143 gr ELD-X and about 975 yards with the 147 gr ELD-M.

I'd just run ELD-X on both as the ELD-M likely does not provide you any benefit for the distances that you are planning to hunt (see real examples in the next paragraph). However, if you want to mix things up then go right ahead. You could run the ELD-M on your Creedmoor and the ELD-X on your PRC. Use the Creedmoor primarily for deer-sized game and the PRC for elk-sized game; in a pinch you could swap rifles. Or if you are using commercial ammo, run with whatever you can get your hands on.

I have a "practice" 6.5 CM (Savage Storm) and it shoots both commercial ELD-X and ELD-M very well. The 143 gr ELD-X hits 1800 fps @ 750 yards while the 147 gr ELD-M is right at 800 yards. The drop is nearly identical as well. Out to 750 yards the largest drop difference is 0.51" and at 800 yards it is only 1.07". These numbers are for this specific rifle at a specific rifle range in southern AZ; your mileage may very.

I've personally only killed Coues deer with ELD-M in my 6.5 PRC. All have been at extended distances and all have been DRT. I'd have no issues taking this rifle and bullet on an elk hunt.

The largest animal I've killed with ELD-X was a water buffalo. The shot was about 50 yards and the 308 Win and 178 gr ELD-X did just fine. I'd have no issues using ELD-X on elk as long as I am within the velocity threshold required for reliable expansion.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input AZ_Hunter_2000.

The drops of both factory loads out of my 6.5 PRC are only minimally different. Thus, I was wondering whether there is any performance difference on game at 4-500 yds. I happen to have more of the ELD-M for that caliber at this time. They both did well out that gun up to 350 yds for me on antelope, whitetail, & mule deer. I have not been able to surpass the factory loads as components are scarce.
Out of the 6.5 CM, my handloaded ELD-X is about 100 fps faster than factory Hornady. It has taken down elk without issue out to 300 yds. I happen to have several boxes of Hornady 140 ELD-M & 147 ELD-M. Again trajectories are insignificantly different for hunting large game at distances that I’m interested in. I have components for reloading the 6.5 CM. But why do more work if I can get the same result.

I killed a bull elk with the eldx last year from a creedmoor at 90 yards and it didn't even take a step, lungs were toast.
For this season I bought a 6.5 prc and have settled on the 147 eldm for both the creedmoor and the prc. Plan on the prc for elk and the creedmoor for antelope and mule deer, the barrel on the creedmoor should last longer than the prc so it will probably see more use.

I shot a moose with a 7mm 180EldM last year at under 50 yards. It went in and jello'd his lungs, no exit. This was from a 7SAUM going 2850fps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I regret going with 180 Bergers over the 180 ELDMs on my moose. The bergers were an epic failure.

What distance, velocity, and impact point? Asking since I've seen them (7mm Rem Mag) hammer the snot out of elk at an assortment of distances.
556 yards muzzle velocity of 2894. Blowing up on impact. I had 3 shots I put in him as he laid down facing away right through the top of the back driving straight down into the lungs that never made it through the backstrap. Still finding shrapnel in my backstrap steaks when I damn near break a tooth on them.

556 yards muzzle velocity of 2894. Blowing up on impact. I had 3 shots I put in him as he laid down facing away right through the top of the back driving straight down into the lungs that never made it through the backstrap. Still finding shrapnel in my backstrap steaks when I damn near break a tooth on them.

Assuming they were follow ups and you had a broadside shot that made it to the vitals?

ianpadron

WKR
I've shot 2 critters with ELDXs and the collateral damage has been unacceptable, even at 300 yards. Lost a front quarter off a bear and a deer. They are grenades if you even nick bone.

Only one data point with the ELDM but put one through the high shoulder on a good sized bear last August at 300 yards and got a complete pass through and dead on arrival situation. Won't be going back to ELDX's ever.

I've shot 2 critters with ELDXs and the collateral damage has been unacceptable, even at 300 yards. Lost a front quarter off a bear and a deer. They are grenades if you even nick bone.

Only one data point with the ELDM but put one through the high shoulder on a good sized bear last August at 300 yards and got a complete pass through and dead on arrival situation. Won't be going back to ELDX's ever.
Which Eldm was that ?

WoodBow

WKR
I can't speak to performance but i have shot the eldm and eldx out of my 6.5 prc out to 925 yards and point of impact was identical with both for me. Not shooting paper but shooting rocks. So not super precise but both hitting center of center.

I'm pretty sure most of us do not shoot well enough to see a differnce of 3 or 4 grains of bullet weight.

Try plugging various velocities into a ballistic calculator. It is shocking how little difference even 50-100 fps makes.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I can't speak to performance but i have shot the eldm and eldx out of my 6.5 prc out to 925 yards and point of impact was identical with both for me. Not shooting paper but shooting rocks. So not super precise but both hitting center of center.

I'm pretty sure most of us do not shoot well enough to see a differnce of 3 or 4 grains of bullet weight.

Try plugging various velocities into a ballistic calculator. It is shocking how little difference even 50-100 fps makes.
IDK, I just plugged that into my calculator and I wouldn't like that outcome. Using 6.5 PRC data 143 ELD-X 100 fps difference in MV translates into 18" POI difference. Add the 6.9" deviation to that because factory is probably shooting .75 MOA at best out of a box rifle, that's a recipe for disaster IMO.

WoodBow

WKR
IDK, I just plugged that into my calculator and I wouldn't like that outcome. Using 6.5 PRC data 143 ELD-X 100 fps difference in MV translates into 18" POI difference. Add the 6.9" deviation to that because factory is probably shooting .75 MOA at best out of a box rifle, that's a recipe for disaster IMO.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I was saying 100 fps deviation would be extreme. And even that radical difference has a very small change at typical hunting distances (inside of 500). A 4 grain bullet difference is likely a sub 25 fps change i would guess. I shot 143s and 147s all the way out to 925 and I could not tell any difference

And my factory CA ridgeline is shooting factory Hornady Ammo at half moa.
60fd39feacb264a3a744b4ee0ab3a73e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk