ELD X review

willidru

WKR
I use factory loads on my 300 win mag 200 gr ELD-X get them to shoot 1/2 minute so haven’t had a reason to try to reload.

killed a buck at 414 it piles up after 10’ then killed a cow elk at 400 and recovered the ELDX in the attached pic. Seems to work ok

Attachments

• 3197F6D7-E62F-405C-A8E1-B360B38EF662.jpeg
    3197F6D7-E62F-405C-A8E1-B360B38EF662.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 181
I will echo a bunch of the others. I have been preaching the eld x since there release. I tried them pretty early after the release and have sworn by them ever since. I think the naysayers truly don't use them as they are designed. Hornady recommends impact of 2700fps or less. That should not be very hard when using the heavier bullets per caliber. I run the 212 out of a 300 win mag and out of the pipe I'm getting 2850fps. But once you get to 100 yards you are already down to 2700.

With this set up I have taken many tons of meat down. From large bodied Canadian moose and elk to a full line up of African plains game. Nothing went beyond 30 yards and most dirt napped on the spot. Great bullet, I will continue to use it.

I will most likely be running the 143s in my prc this year. I run the 147 eldms around 3100 out of my 264wm and have killed Kritters from 120 out to 550y and they do great.

The 143s seem to be shooting a little better out of the prc.

RyanC

WKR
The Hornady ELD-X 162g bullets grouped better than any other off the shelf ammo I tried through my Tikka 7mm. So far they haven't let me down so I'll keep shooting them.....not to mention they're less expensive than a lot of other ammo for 7mm. 2 Dall Sheep 430 yards (brother and I doubled with my rifle) and 2 coues bucks, 210 yards and 420 yards. Not big animals but when something groups well and kills what it hits why change. I'll keep shooting them.

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
The Hornady ELD-X 162g bullets grouped better than any other off the shelf ammo I tried through my Tikka 7mm. So far they haven't let me down so I'll keep shooting them.....not to mention they're less expensive than a lot of other ammo for 7mm. 2 Dall Sheep 430 yards (brother and I doubled with my rifle) and 2 coues bucks, 210 yards and 420 yards. Not big animals but when something groups well and kills what it hits why change. I'll keep shooting them.
That’s good to know. I’ve got a 280ai on order and the 162’s is what I’m going to try first.

Some of my rifles love the ELD-X and others favor Accubonds. Both have been devastating on game. Taken a few critters with my 6.5 CM shooting 143gr ELD-X, including a Snow Sheep at ~500 yards. Out of that rifle they’ve been consistently accurate at all reasonable hunting ranges and everything I’ve pointed them at ended up as dead as Julius Ceaser.

Find it curious that frangilbe/target bullets like Berger/AMax or heavy-bonded or Mono-metal like A-Frames or Barnes are often touted as superior hunting bullets. While each of those are great bullets for their intended purpose, the ELD-X would seem to be more suitable for a wider variety of applications. Don’t get me wrong - if chasing a Brownie I’ll likely be using a TTSX or A-Frame, but if hunting a Caribou, Sheep or Mulie I’ll stick with an ELD-X. That Interlock bullet has taken a ton of game over the years, and now with improved ballistic performance Hornady’s made it even better.

To quote John Barseness when he and his buddy were skinning a Bull Elk and they found the jacket and core of his bullet just inside of the animal’s off side - his buddy turned to him and said, “this bullet failed!” John replied, “at exactly what point in the bull’s death did it fail?”

The 162 ELD-X's shot fantastic from my Tikka 7mm-08 as well.

HillDogAU

FNG
Interesting to hear the comment Regarding the Accubond and the ELDX as being on Par!

i litereally shot my first big game with the 7mm ELDX 162 just this afternoon.... heres a short video.
about to recover the animal, skeptical as im usually a Woodleigh Fan, ive been hesistant to shoot mature sambar at Close range, often opting to tote the 7mm08 140gr PPSN from Woodleigh............

new to the 7 mag (12months) an only the 2nd large deer animal ive taken with it, also took a smaller Fallow deer pass thru all good.

will report back with a photo most likely, .......

worried they are explosive per say but also hit behind the front leg most times....

Rekon the animal above will go far???

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to hear the comment Regarding the Accubond and the ELDX as being on Par!

i litereally shot my first big game with the 7mm ELDX 162 just this afternoon.... heres a short video.
about to recover the animal, skeptical as im usually a Woodleigh Fan, ive been hesistant to shoot mature sambar at Close range, often opting to tote the 7mm08 140gr PPSN from Woodleigh............

new to the 7 mag (12months) an only the 2nd large deer animal ive taken with it, also took a smaller Fallow deer pass thru all good.

will report back with a photo most likely, .......

worried they are explosive per say but also hit behind the front leg most times....

Rekon the animal above will go far???
So you’ve posted the video on YouTube but haven’t recovered the animal? SMH.

HillDogAU

FNG
So you’ve posted the video on YouTube but haven’t recovered the animal? SMH.
If you noticed it was Unlisted, So No, its not shared on Youtube.... but anyway
8vj7E4e.jpg

Rjwu4si.jpg

O5RMFpn.jpg

Have a good Day, bloke.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle