Elderly buck meat

Slim Jim

WKR
Can an elderly bucks meat be bad?

I helped my buddy with his rifle buck tag this week and he harvested a buck that is about 8 or 9 yrs old. His teeth were completely worn down to nubs, still had velvet that looked like a stag bucks and a regressed rack, and had a limp which was probably arthritis.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Just curious because my buddy kept asking if maybe the meat could be bad because he heard that there might be a disease among mule deer in NV. I told him it was fine and we processed it ourselves but it got me thinking

As long as you take care of the meat it should be fine. Might make better sausage and burger than steak tho.

I've never heard of meat being bad from age of the animal alone.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't heard about any disease in NV. He should just make it all into burger though as it will be tough. I worked at a cattle ranch years ago and my "bonus" one year was a cow that was so old she couldn't walk anymore. Worst meat ever. I also have found NV deer do not taste very good when taken to a processor. I process my own deer now and cut off anything white. End up with clean red meat and it tastes much better.

Hardstalk

WKR
There was questions of chronic wasting but that was a while back. Sent in some elk brain/spine samples but never heard anything back on any testing. I wouldnt worry about it. Marinate it. Over cook it.