ELDX vs Berger Hybrid Hunter

Just took my new CA Mesa in 7mm to the range (wow, hardly any recoil at all....seriously feels like a 243). Shot factory Federal Premium Berger Hybrid Hunter 168 gr and Hornady ELDX 162 gr sub MOA. It shot Nosler LRAB 168 gr around MOA, but not nearly as well as the other two.

Going to Montana on a ranch hunt where shot opportunities are expected to be in the 200-400 yard range, though I plan to practice out to 600. There are grizzlies in the area.

Between the 162 gr ELDX and the 168 gr Berger Hybrid Hunter, what would you recommend?

If you are talking as in protection from grizzly bears, I doubt there would be any noticeable difference,

175 7mm ELDx were too explosive for my liking at only 2820 FPS muzzle velocity. I cant say I've tested the 168 classic hunter or 175 EH bergers on game yet but based on my experience with 175 eldx last year and previous experience with 6.5 bergers, I'm hoping things work a little better with 175 EH.

Sled

WKR
Try a standard accubond. I've had the ablr shoot poor and the regular shoot great. A regular AB will perform fine for what you want to do. Those other projectiles were not meant for self defense on bear. I'd take the AB or a Barnes LRX if it were my hunt. Just make sure your barrel twist will stabilize the projectile you want to shoot.

The 168 Berger will be just fine on elk in that range and beyond. They work very well from my experiences and if they shoot good in your rifle I’d say go for it.

Sled

WKR
The 168 Berger will be just fine on elk in that range and beyond. They work very well from my experiences and if they shoot good in your rifle I’d say go for it.

Agreed, but would it be your first choice on bear?

crossone

FNG
The 160 Accubonds out of a 7mmRM are really good bullets and (At least in my opinion) are probably going to provide More reliable penetration than the Berger’s. That being said, I have and continue to hunt with the 7mm 168 VLDs. They’ve always worked well for me on elk but if grizzlies were a concern, I would probably opt for Accubonds, partitions, Barnes, or Swift Sciroccos. Probably not going to matter, thousands of people hunt those mountains and only a few get tangled up with grizzlies.

The odds of you shooting a charging grizz is about about as good a Lloyd Christmas hooking up with that girl in Dumb and Dumber ;) .

Between the 162 eldx and 168 berger hh it's a toss up. which one is faster? which one is cheaper? what matters more to you?