Electric Fence

Mike 338

WKR
The mules don't like being tied up and can't lay down and roll so I just picked up some components for a portable electric fence. I set it up in the pasture where I keep the mules. I ran a single ribbon of tape at about 40". First mule got zapped and immediately started thinking. She went to the gate where she go in and stared at the ribbon for about 10 seconds and squeezed right under it and got out. What a stinker! I ran a second ribbon below the first and put both mules in and left them overnight. We'll see if they're still in there this morning.

rayporter

WKR
da mules are really good at ducking under a wire. and horses can too. I always run a second wire as low as possible [ maybe 18 inches] off the ground to counter this. with those that are run behind a hot wire you can probably lay the second wire on the ground and not even hook it up. if you only have enough wire for one strand, run it real low.

also hobbles will slow them down enough that they know they can not make under with out getting hit.

long ago I started to just run the wire around trees and bushes with no insulators and rarely will one test it.
back when I started doing this I had a much hotter charger than the one I have now. but hey do know this one will get them.

OP
M

Mike 338

WKR
Yup, had two mules in the coral this morning. Bottom wiire (tape) broke and was laying on the ground (I cut it and the splice didn't hold). Didn't seem to matter. They didn't challenge it. The coral doesn't take hardly any more time than a high-line to set up although It will take a bit more space. Funny... I'd'a thought they'd jump the thing but they seem to respect it enough not to. Now, to modify the posts so they pack down.

wyosteve

WKR
If the electric doesn't work out, have you tried picketing them by one front foot?

rayporter

WKR
I like bells too. kinda bothers some of my pards but I sleep better knowing who is where.

a ski rope winder will wind up the wire pretty well. I don't use the ribbon normally just the round fiberglass type of wire -it takes up less space.