Electric heater for large tent

Looking for advice on a portable electric heater for my large Tentipi Tent (17' diameter, 10' at peak).

I have a wood stove, and it's good. Have a Big Buddy, and that works too under the right conditions. But sometimes I'm camping on the pacific northwest coast during the rainy season and staying at campgrounds with electric. So I was wondering, what kind of electric options are out there? And I want something to do more than just take the chill off, I mean some something to make it t-shirt comfortable and dry some cloths. Also, if it has a fan, has to be quiet enough to sleep through.

Anybody?

rayporter

WKR
electric heaters
110v heaters are limited to 1500 watts which equals 5100 btus.

so if you want more heat you have to hook another 110v heater up to a different circuit to get 10,000 btus. other wise you will blow fuses or melt wire.

most generators of 3000 watts will run 2 heaters.

i have a 20 ft tipi and my guess is you will be ok with 2 heaters.

if you want a lot more heat from electric you need 220 v. and i dont think a lot of campgrounds have 220v.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not sure 10k BTU's would cut it. My tank top heater puts out 30k BTU's and makes my 14x16 wall tent "comfortable" in the mornings during archery season here in CO. But when it gets colder than September normally gets, I'd want more than that. Even this year, we had heavy frost more mornings than I've seen in the last 15 Septembers combined, and I wish I had had a little more heat every morning.

mlgc20

WKR
Last year I ran one electric heater at 1500v/5100 btus in my Cabelas Big Horn 3 which is a little smaller than your tent. The overnight temps were around 20. It took the edge off. But, wasn't anywhere near making it t-shirt comfortable. This year, I used the Big Buddy. It was much more capable. If you could run the electric heater and a Big Buddy, that would be a way to go if you really wanted to make it toasty.

rayporter

WKR
i cannot imagine a 30,000 btu heater in my tipi until below zero. there is less volume in a tipi than the wall tent even though the area is nearly equal.

if you are at the right hookup you could run 3 electric heaters with an extension cord for each and be safe. those ceramic heaters are very quiet and safe. i dont think that they will start a fire, i once seen a guy curl up with one on his chest to sleep cause he forgot his sleeping bag.